<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, May 10, 2010

Prog 1180 16/02/00

Eight episodes into The Keeler Conspiracy and Strontium Dog is going on a break until May which is really annoying as it’s February now and the thrill isn’t due back until after The Slog finishes. I’ve been pretty much enjoying the character’s return despite the absence of Wulf Sternhammer.

In the story, the spaceship that Johnny Alpha is transporting his bounties on is hijacked by a group of anti-mutant arseholes who abduct the genetically curious pilot and leave the passengers and crew for dead. Only a small group manage to survive, led to safety by our steely focused hero.

Apparently, this is an adaptation by John Wagner of a script he wrote for a proposed Strontium Dog film that never happened. It does feel as if the overall arc is being considered more so than the rules that might normally apply to episodic story telling. Also, this is a reboot, and already a more successful one than Rogue Trooper and Robo-Hunter that precedes it. There’s also been some continuity rejigging going on and the inclusion of Milton, a sort of sarcastic iPhone that Alpha carries. I imagine that there are many readers irked by the return of a character killed off years earlier. Personally speaking however, I think as Strontium Dog’s creators, John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra are morally entitled to pretend that death never happened, especially as they aren’t the ones who killed the character in the first place.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • My thoughts exactly Paul well said!

    Yeah this story retarts a prog or two after you end the slog....

    By Blogger David page, at 12:33 pm  

  • Aghh Milton and the rejoggin. I really didin't like this stronty story. I didnt like it because I remember wagner saying at the time that he was not going to brinkg back Wulf as he was a silly character. and that these weer the 'real' johnny alpha stories, all the ones were had previously read should be considered badly remembered folk tales.

    That completely turned me off the series and I think he has since changed all theses opinions

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 12:34 pm  

  • This story was my first real encounter with johnny Alpha, and I really enjoyed it. I'm glad Milton was dropped though, as the Weapons Crest in Nikolai Dante was a bit too similar. Personally speaking, I'm glad that SD was brought back as it seems like the New Church storyline didn't seem like a particularly great way to finish off the run and the Strontium Dogs follow up series were not the strongest efforts of any of the writers. Having got Agency Files 1-4 I'd happily put Blood Moon and Traitor to his kind on the same shelf as "Portrait..." and "Rage", and "The Tax Dodge" alongside "The Rammy."

    Paul, I don't know if you'd be tempted to get back into the weekly or not, but if you were there's an SD story called "The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha" coming out in the summer, and personally, i don't think I'd want to wait for the trade on that one.

    Finally Victor, I can understand being upset at the idea that the classics you' grown up reading had been invaildated. Have you read any of the follow up stories? Wulf is back, and all the stories seem to be set before his death and don't go out of their way to contradict the older stories 9although there is a retelling of the Kid Knee story)

    Chris

    By Blogger kennyevil, at 2:56 pm  

  • It'll be over to you then, Dave. :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:34 pm  

  • It's funny how some promotion can turn onee off a series, Victor. Perhaps it's a good job I never encountered any for SD's return.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:35 pm  

  • Actually Chris, the GN collections of the newer SD stories are on my Amazon Wish List for future purchase so intend to read 'em all one day.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:37 pm  

  • Is it me, or does Wagner take himself a bit too seriously?

    By Blogger Robert, at 10:51 pm  

  • No offence Robert, but I think it's you :-). I think he takes his work seriously but he's one of the funniest comic writers of the last thirty years.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home