<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Prog 1176 19/01/00

Item: Alan Grant has written a couple more Judge Dredd one-offs since his cryptic John Wagner tribute in prog 2000. Grant’s other recent thrills, Anderson PSI Division and Mazeworld, haven’t worked as well as I feel he’s capable of while Judge Dredd, as brilliant as it often is, has been caught up in it’s own continuity a bit too much for my tastes. So, it’s a pleasure to be able to say how much I’m enjoying his recent Dredd’s. It’s like he’s pulled the character into his workshop, brushed away the cobwebs and oiled all of the squeaks. This prog’s Doledrums feels contemporary, successfully satirical and is unexpectedly cheerful. More importantly, it feels a little like somebody’s opened the window and let some fresh air in.

Item: Something else I’m delighted to see return is Strontium Dog by the original creative team of John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. Tonally, everything looks just right except… where’s Wulf? I thought we were pretending that both characters hadn’t died. I love Wulf. I want him back.

Item: Of all the current generation of young writers, Gordon Rennie is the one that I have the biggest soft spot for. So, I’m happy to see that at present, he’s setting 2000 AD’s tone being responsible for writing 75% of the comic. New thrill Glimmer Rats and the double length return of Missionary Man.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • The Stronts script was adapted from an unused movie script Wagner wrote for the stillborn Fleetway Film & TV project, which is why he has the talking omputer and no Wulf. Wulf returned in the follow up story in Prog 2001.

    The Missionary Man story was particularly epic and Trevor Hairsine was coming into his own here, finally shaking off the McMahon influence and asserting his own.

    Chris

    By Blogger kennyevil, at 1:59 pm  

  • A strontium Dog TV show? That would have been great (presuming it had been done properly). I've got a copy of 2001 so I might read that later...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home