<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Prog 1164 06/10/99

Congratulations to Hayden Nash who has won the 2000 AD script writing competition. Although, it should be noted that this script doesn’t conform to the 2000 AD standard. Normally, the writer writes the script and then the artist draws the strip from it. In this case, the art already existed in the bottom of a draw in Tharg’s office. It’s Steve Dillon art to an unpublished episode of Hap Hazzard from ten years before to which the script has long since been lost. So, in this era of austerity where all on-file strips have to be run, even those only half finished get to see print. In fact, turning wordless comic art into a script writing competition is an act of genius on behalf of Tharg, or should I say David Bishop… or Andy Diggle?

I entered this competition and may I say, Nash’s entry is probably much better than mine. It’s very clever in places with strong lead-ins, characterisation and dialogue. It actually reads like an episode of Hap Hazzard, only better written. My only criticism is that it ends on a cliff hanger that, as far as I’m aware, never gets resolved. A really clever writer would have scripted it to look like the conclusion but I imagine, like me, Nash is hoping he’ll be called back to wrap the story up.

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • Maybe he is still hoping . . .

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 9:41 pm  

  • Its David bishop with some help from andy diggle at this point.

    Diggle takes over fully on prog 1200

    By Blogger David page, at 12:35 pm  

  • I believe (from Thrillpower Overload) that David Bishop was trying to wind down his tenure as Tharg at this point and hand more over hoping to finish with Prog 2000. Not getting a replacement sorted meant he stayed on longer. So this is a bit of a mirky period where Tharg might best be called Bisgle or Dighop... which ever works for you.

    Of course I could be wildly off the mark here!

    By Blogger Colin, at 1:32 pm  

  • I always liked the Hap Hazzard strip, it was the perfect angst-less comedy strip for 2000AD

    ...pity there were only ever about 5 episodes of it!

    By Blogger Derek, at 1:36 pm  

  • Blimey, I'd forgotten we ever ran this competition! That's what editing a weekly does to your brain. You have to dump a load of memory every seven days or risk going quite mad.

    Can't honestly recall whose idea the Hap Hazzard contest was, but it's a canny notion. Plus it used up some leftover stock [much like the 25+ Ron Smith pin-ups I inherited after becoming Tharg on December 18th in '95].

    By Blogger DAVID BISHOP, at 12:07 pm  

  • Maybe he isn't, Victor (although I still am).

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:42 pm  

  • Thanks David.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:42 pm  

  • Sounds convincing to me, Colin, but then what do I know?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:43 pm  

  • Derek, I always felt that Dillon was capable of better, myself.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:45 pm  

  • David, as a Ron Smith fan, when I encountered those pin-ups during The Slog I got hopeful he would be back properly. Somebody here had to explain to me that it was stock you were using up.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home