<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Prog 1153 21/07/99

For the last few weeks, 2000 AD has been running quotes from Heat Magazine across its cover. ‘High on irony, low on camp.” “The requisite blend of wit and darkness.” I’ve read many copies of Heat Magazine in dentist waiting rooms over the years and let me tell you, it’s hard to imagine a feature on 2000 AD ever having appeared in it. Mind you, this is just before the start of Big Brother so perhaps all these celebrity obsessed publications of the time have to crawl around for something to write about.

Earlier in The Slog, I felt able to contextualise the progs I was reading, remember what was happening around the time they were published, because usually I had read them before. Now, however, because this is the first time I’ve encountered this final run of issues, I don’t have that insight. So, when the comic runs quotes from Heat Magazine across its cover it’s hard to think of it as anything other than the cynical and opportunistic trash-mag it is today. For all I know, it might have been an entirely different beast in 1999.

It’s nearly impossible to forget, however, how excited everyone was about the new Star Wars film The Phantom Menace. This prog features a page long review which I can’t be bothered to read properly but does feature Cyber-MATT suggesting seeing it at least three times so you can assimilate all of the movie’s information. I don’t blame Cyber-MATT for thinking this, after all, many of us were so enthused by the prospect of the film that the idea it might be shit was difficult to comprehend. What strikes me as interesting about the presence of this review is, in a way, it’s 2000 AD turning full circle. It started out as a publication exploiting the success of the original Star Wars film (now re-titled A New Hope) and it’s still here, to wave hello now that the ugly-faced franchise has returned. Haven’t they changed?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Actually Heat started out as a entertainment/film review mag similar to Neon and Film, I had the first issue (it was 50p) and it was ok. Later they re-vamped it and came up with the celebrity notion - the rest is successful history!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 12:19 am  

  • There you go. Thanks, Victor.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:49 pm  

  • I've learnt something new...

    By Blogger OrLoK, at 5:35 pm  

  • Happy to help.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home