<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Prog 1145 19/05/99

In Mercy Heights, Dendrellian Fadayeen terrorists slaughter their way to the centre of the space hospital like a swarm of merciless, suited up, unstoppable bastards. This second run for John Tomlinson’s thrill makes the first look like Last of the Summer Wine.

Unfortunately for me, I’ve completely lost track of who’s who in the story. I can remember the needy, black doctor and his hostile lady colleague he fancies; I can remember the genius but arrogant surgeon and, of course, Tor Cyan, the big, blue guy who might have been Rogue Trooper in a previous life; But after these guys everyone else is pretty much a blur. It means when a less established character pops up and does something momentous there’s a part of me that wonders if this is the first time I’ve met the little critter. It’s a shame really because it’s clearly a tightly written thrill that has an impressive selection of artists working on it including Trevor Hairshine, Lee Sullivan and Neil Goodge. Unfortunately, different artists drawing the characters differently only make recognition even harder.

During its original run, every episode was accompanied by a status update which not only recapped the story so far but also reminded us of the characters and their back grounds. I guess that one of the reasons it is absent now is that 2000 AD is at least four pages down every week since the thrill’s first run. Normally, I’m resistant to status updates of this size but the reality for me is that Mercy Heights needs it more than any other strip. Like Missionary Man, I hope it returns for a new story after this run just so I get another chance to get more fully onboard.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • The second Mercy Heights was quite a sea change from the first which I personally think was a bit of a shame. The first felt dense and intriguing if sometimes a little too much so put felt worth the effort as it was genuinely different for 2000ad. This fella feels so much more traditional that while its still dense at time I wasn't as willing to work with it.

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:02 pm  

  • Thats it for mercy heights I'm afriad. After prog 2000 the strip morphed into a tor cyan solo strip.

    Incidently paul how do I get in touch with you about possibly taking over the slog?

    By Blogger David page, at 1:35 pm  

  • Colin, it does seem like they lost their nerve a little with this story.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 9:07 pm  

  • paul at pbrainey dot com, David.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 9:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home