<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Prog 1143 05/05/99

Item: As is often the case with The Slog, I make a bold statement and then, shortly after, something happens in the prog I’m reading to throw doubt onto it. You probably remember me saying recently how John Wagner doesn’t use Judge Anderson or PSI Division very often in his Judge Dredd stories anymore because of the ambiguities of their powers. Then, of course, the story Return of the Assassin begins and she’s in the thrill more often that Dredd is.

What’s interesting to me about Return of the Assassin is it refers very much to Alan Grant’s Anderson stories from the Megazine a few years ago in which she established a relationship with Orlok. In this story, a reward for Dredd’s capture is posted by the exiled government of East-Meg One because of his involvement in the nuking of the city during The Apocalypse War resulting in the deaths of half a billion people. This is small potatoes compared to the billions he ordered nuked off the face of the planet during Garth Ennis’ Judgement Day and yet no reference, so far, has been made to this. It’s as if Wagner has selective reference when it comes to Dredd-world stories written by other writers. Alan Grant, good; anybody else; not so good. Of course, now that I’ve said this here, I fully expect it to be disproved in a few progs time. I’ll let you know if this happens.

Item: I remember a big deal being made in the UK comic press during the eighties after Bryan Talbot was asked by Tharg to white-out what he saw as excessive blood splattering in a Nemesis the Warlock panel. How things have changed because in this prog I wretched at the sight of Egbert Balls reaching into the Obliterator’s insides through his mouth and, over a succession of panels drawn lovingly by Kevin Walker, pulls out a long line of pink, normally internal organs. One thrill later, Mercy Heights, and a Fadayeen Terrorist’s internals burst out through his mouth in a colourful line after the armour he tries on suddenly contracts with him wearing it. What a coincidence, eh?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • Wagner's definitely said in an interview that he doesn't feel bound by other writers' dredd world stories. He'll use them if he thinks they add to the mythos but will mostly just ignore them. The biggest example of this is the sino-cit sub plot from a few years ago. I think that, as far as he's concerned supersurf 13 never happened.

    The most jarring thing was when mean machine suddenly went from wandering the cursed earth to being in an iso cube where he'd been for years. Of course no one minded much about that including the gordon rennie, the other writer.

    It's a shame that you're ending this soon as you'll miss out on most of tsar wars, caballistic inc, asylum and a few other modern classics. It's great that you managed to stick it out long enough to see the beginning of the turn around.

    Chris

    By Blogger kennyevil, at 6:42 pm  

  • It’s as if Wagner has selective reference when it comes to Dredd-world stories written by other writers.

    Which is true for both Dredd and strontium dog its mentioned as such in thrill power overload

    By Blogger David page, at 2:32 pm  

  • Wagner also has selective memory with his own stories . . . So what happened to Pa and Junior Angel ?

    I think it's good that you are ending soon. I fear for your sanity if you keep reading and would hate you to suffer Thrill Power Underload!

    I would like it if someone who has the issues following you starts the slog phase 2 though. There are 10 years of thrills yet to cover!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 9:28 am  

  • As per Wagner's facebook page

    "I regret killing off Pa and Junior Angel - almost as much as I regret bringing them back!"

    Chris

    By Blogger kennyevil, at 11:07 am  

  • I regret him bringing them back almost as much as I regret him bringing Johnny Alpha back.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 2:11 pm  

  • I would like it if someone who has the issues following you starts the slog phase 2 though. There are 10 years of thrills yet to cover!

    I think I've mentioned before that I would kill to do that as barring five missing issues (which my newsagent at the time never got) I have a complete run of 2000ads due to the fact that I started back with issue 1200

    By Blogger David page, at 2:40 pm  

  • Victor,

    Really? I think Strontium Dog has been exceptional since Johnny was brought back. "Traitor to His kind" and "Bllod Moon" have been worthy additions to the SD agency files. I'm really looking forward to "The Life and death of Johnny Alpha"

    Chris

    By Blogger kennyevil, at 3:09 pm  

  • Tax dodge was hilarious as well

    By Blogger David page, at 3:25 pm  

  • Thanks for that Chris. As far as I'm concerned, Wagner can ignore whatever he wants.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:48 pm  

  • Which, like I say David, he's entitled to do

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:48 pm  

  • Victor, I couldn't continue after 1188 if I tried :-). If anyone wishes to continue where I plan to leave off then if they contact me may be we can come to arrangement, even if it's me just redirecting visitors here to them.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home