<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Prog 1138 31/03/99

I’ve said here before how I like the idea of the occasional prog long episode of a thrill even if, so far, those issues have been a tad disappointing. That was when they occurred sparingly and given over to classic strips such as Judge Dredd and Slaine, not, like in this prog, to upstarts like Sinister Dexter.

In Eurocrash part 12, the wedding of convenience between Demi Octavo and Hector Guapo is ruined, inevitably, when the hired dancers start shooting the place up. But the story ends in shock when, after Sinister and Dexter disagree with how to proceed, both groom and bridegroom are shot dead.

Eurocrash part 12 is not a self contained story like in previous prog long thrills; it’s not even quite the thrilling climax of the saga; rather, it is just an extra long episode. It highlights a flaw in the idea of these occasional progs; if you normally buy the comic for everything but, say, Sinister Dexter then an issue filled special of gun shark tomfoolery is an ideal one to skip. And breaking the habit once makes breaking it permanently at some point in the near future all the easier.

Dan Abnett writes this prog like it’s an American comic which, I suppose, in spirit, it more or less is. It’s a swifter and breezier read than five episodes of the thrill stitched together might be. And I continue to be impressed SB Davis’ prolific artwork. But Eurocrash has failed to change my mind about longer Sinister Dexter stories. I still prefer the shorter, pithier, single yarns. Having said this, I’m made curious enough by the end of this story to see how the survivors’ relationship moves on from here.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Arh so like if you're not moved by Eurotrash I'll let go my hope that you'll come to my way of thinking Sinister Dexter is a brillant strip.

    Vive La difference

    (but really it is ya know... really)

    By Blogger Colin, at 9:02 pm  

  • I didn't care much about S&D for a long time. It was filler material. Too much of a Pulp Fiction rip off i thought. I think it's only in the last few years (how long i can't remember) that i've really liked it. These days it's a highlight as i know and love the characters more and got to know their universe.
    I'm sure if i reread them as a trade i'd probably warm to the earlier stories a lot more.
    But the fact it was almost a blatant rip off of PF, left a bitter taste in my mouth. Same with Mercy Heights with ER.

    By Blogger Rhinocerouslip Bumcrack, at 9:23 pm  

  • I wondered if this was the story that was supposed to turn me, Colin mate. :-) Sorry.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

  • Not so much as a rip-off as very heavily influenced by PF and those mochney movies of the time, I would say, Rhino.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:45 pm  

  • you're right there Mr. R, bad wording on my behalf.

    By Blogger Rhinocerouslip Bumcrack, at 6:26 pm  

  • Is there no Dredd story in this issue?

    By Blogger Derek, at 3:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home