<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, April 09, 2010

Prog 1133 24/02/99

Artist Cam Kennedy returns to drawing Judge Dredd after Grud knows how long away this prog. It’s great to see him back even if the reason for his return might be because American publishers are no longer offering him the level of work they once did. His Dredd looks great. Helping is D’Israeli who colours Kennedy’s black and white art. It’s amazing to think, especially when you see his amazing full artwork on twenty-first centaury thrills for 2000 AD, that some of D’Israeli’s earliest work for the comic is colouring.

Also making a return is Judge DeMarco in an ad for a new story beginning in the latest issue of The Megazine. “She’s about to uncover a mystery that will tear the city apart…” This is very frustrating to me because I dropped The Megazine from The Slog at the end on volume two. The thought that narratives I’ve been sucking up from 2000 AD Judge Dredd stories are being continued elsewhere is very annoying.

Another return this prog is the Rogue Trooper who may or may not be the Rogue Trooper we all know. Tor Cyan is back as a cast member of space hospital drama Mercy Heights. I must confess to being a little surprised by its return. Not because I don’t think it’s good but because it’s been away for a while. Currently, 2000 AD works hard at making readers like newer thrills by running them as often as possible and encouraging familiarity. Compared to Sinister Dexter and Nikolai Dante, Mercy Heights is a denser, more complicated strip that would feel the detriment of a long break more acutely. Interestingly, now that it’s back, it doesn’t even feature the status update page that it used to every week during its first run to remind readers as to what was going on.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I can't remember if i liked Mercy Heights. First time around i didn't (ER in space innit) but wether the 2nd series or 3rd (dunno cant remember) grabbed me. Perhaps they should collect them with the megazine to read as a whole?

    By Blogger Rhinocerouslip Bumcrack, at 8:01 pm  

  • That might be worth their while doing. The art's great on this one.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:41 pm  

  • I think if I picked up a compilation of most thrills as a compilation and under a different brand name to 2000 ad I'd probably appreciate them far more.

    MH kinda passed me by in my slog, but it's probaly due to thrill overload, due to Reading somany progs at once.

    I think I'll try that strip again, and one day even possibly S&D and Dante.

    I'm hoping they'll stand up better, for me, in isolation

    l

    By Blogger OrLoK, at 6:59 pm  

  • They're worth a go, but there's a lot more worthwhile stuff deserving of reading out there.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home