<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, April 05, 2010

Prog 1126 06/01/99

I’ve had to pause for a moment to realise that 2000 AD is in the midst of an era where the comic is ruled by the presence of Judge Dredd, Sinister Dexter and Nikolai Dante. It’s very definitely a different comic to the one that I grew to love fifteen years ago and even to the comic I became despondent with seven years later. It almost feels as if 2000 AD could have been cancelled and re-launched shortly after as an altogether different title, Judge Dredd being present as a cautionary nod to the past in the same way that Dan Dare was in prog 1.

Dan Abnett’s voice is becoming increasingly loud. In this prog, there’s a S&D one off called Reservations which, actually, is quite sweet, but there’s also a spin off from the strip called Downlode Tales. Is Sinister Dexter so popular that readers want double the standard amount as has happened often recently? Is it conceptually strong enough that it can actually support more than one strip? I don’t think so but then this isn’t really 2000 AD so I don’t know what the rules are anymore.

Next prog, in spite of my feelings that there’s only space for one story per prog written by him, Abnett scripts three strips including the Pulp Sci-Fi. This prog however, we have the second to date both written and painted by Mark Harrison. Given how long 2000 AD has been going for now, there have been very few thrills both written and drawn by the same creator. Jim Baikie’s Skiizz and Skiiizz spring to mind. I like to see an artist write their own stories every now and then. Often, they are more capable than we give them credit for and they have a greater sense of what subject matter and story telling styles result in better work from them.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Its interesting that you view 2000ad at this stage as an entirely different animal to the one that started (if I read that correctly). While I agree the comic is a very different beast the fundimental things that are important about it to me are still there.

    Its takes pop culture norms and cult tropes and places its own unique spin on them, a darker twist an uglier edge. It balances balls to the wall action and wit, humour and satire as well as it can issue to issue. It makes you read things you might otherwise miss. And it does all this with its tongue heartily thrust into its cheek while still being able to genuinely move you from time to time.

    At times frustrating, at times compelling its still bloody exciting to read.

    (I've still got a subscription, can you tell!)

    Vive la difference...

    The very thing that makes 2000ad The Galaxies Greatest.

    By Blogger Colin, at 6:43 pm  

  • 2000ad, now, is a bit like seeing a long lost old flame, still the same but somehow different at the same time.

    You can see what you loved but she/he/it's changed too much for you to still love her/him/it.

    And sometimes she/he/it makes you feel silly for carrying that torch for so long only to realise it was the past you loved not the present.

    when did 2000ad stop being the comic it was? Can you define an issue or editor when it changed?

    rgds

    L

    By Blogger OrLoK, at 8:05 pm  

  • I always liked Hap Hazzard, written and drawn (and maybe even lettered) by Steve Dillon.

    Interesting observbation about 2000 AD of this time feeling like a new comic with loose ties to the original. I'm inclined to agree, although I think part of why it feels different is that there are no other equivalent British newsstand comics for 2000 AD to deviate from, and it was the wxceptional level of deviation that marked it out for me (in the early years before I was born/knew how to read).

    By Blogger alexf, at 12:38 pm  

  • Colin, I agree with the things you identify and defining 2000 AD but i don't feel that they are always present.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:01 pm  

  • Orlok, I saw an old flame the other day and she turned her head away and pretended she didn't see me.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:02 pm  

  • Alex, I think I made that observation partly to stop myself feeling cross at things didn't happen the way I thought they ought to.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home