<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Prog 1118 04/11/98

Item: In Judge Dredd Virtual Soldier, a tap gang find what they think is a games console amongst their booty but is in fact a remote control for a war robot. As is often the case with a John Wagner scripted Dredd story, it’s a neat idea that’s over in two episodes. I can’t help wondering, however, if in the hands of a more contemporary writer if it would have been turned into a six part creator owned series released over three years in the hope that the film rights get sold.

Item: I know I’m writing about Slaine a lot recently but I’m really enjoying it at the moment. In Macha, he is denied the chance to take place in the chariot race in case it brings bad luck on the tribe. The only fun thing he is aloud to do is to sleep with newly married women on their wedding day. But even this doesn’t work out for Slaine. The first bride is unattractive and the second’s new husband objects. As a compromise, Cathbad the elderly druid sleeps between the pair. Okay, I accept that I’m not telling this very well, but I laughed out loud at this scene, which is something I haven’t done reading 2000 AD for a long time.

Item: The Quote of the Week has changed from featuring lines from forgettable, crappy little movies to actual thrills. I’ve even got a couple right recently. However, I still have this sense that Tharg, let’s call him David Bishop, is reaching blindly into a pile of back progs and sticking a pin in a page that it falls open at. Last week’s quote was ‘No! No! Not… The Teeth!’ which, apparently, comes from Judge Dredd super epic, The Cursed Earth. Now, is it me who thinks that of all the quotes one might decide to use from The Cursed Earth, ‘No! No! Not… The Teeth!’ isn’t one of them.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • Bishop Basher!

    By Blogger Rhinocerouslip Bumcrack, at 7:48 pm  

  • Notn only is it not a memorable quote from that particualr epic, it's also the sort of sentence that likely appeared in:
    Flesh Shako ABC Warriors Judge Child Cry of the Werewolf Killing Time Slaughterbowl Terror Tales
    you can see the point I'm making, yes.

    By Blogger alexf, at 10:50 am  

  • I'd imagine the change in quotes was instigated by Andy Diggle, whose efforts as sub-editor were really taking effect at this time. I think that it isn't too long after this that Diggle becomes full time Meg editor and replaces the Preacher reprint with Classic 2000 AD reprint, beginning with Strontium Dog: journey into Hell.

    I think Andy's first full time issue is Prog 1200, so you'll only be covering up to the tail-end of the Bish-Op era, where the sale to Rebellion is finalised.

    Chris

    By Blogger kennyevil, at 5:34 pm  

  • @ Rhino "Bishop Basher!" snarf fnarr fnarr

    By Blogger OrLoK, at 3:50 pm  

  • That Cursed Earth quote reminds me of an old 2000AD annual (from the early 80s)I had with quotes in it, the one from Flesh being something along the lines of "Aaaaarrrggghhhh!" (Claw Carver, apparently) which seemed rather appropriate.

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:37 pm  

  • Hey Rhino, I think i've been quite positive towards Bishop recently. Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, you're quite right.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:37 pm  

  • I see your point Alex. Well made.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:37 pm  

  • Cheers kenny. Actually, it's a better comic at the mo than a year or two ago.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:39 pm  

  • Lok. - snort -

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:39 pm  

  • Now, Robert, at least that quote is funny, maybe even ironic.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home