<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Prog 1086 18/03/98

Item: Yeah… well… umm… It appears I messed up. I got to the end of this prog after quite happily reading it when I realised that I had completely missed an issue. I had put prog 1085 on the other side of my bed, ready to read later, but had completely forgotten I had done this. There was a moment when I was reading this prog during Durham Red when I thought, ‘I don’t remember her being captured by the Tenebrae’ but I’ve not been into this story particularly and I decided that I had probably forgotten. The super-sized Sinister Dexter strip was a self contained episode but the Judge Dredd story was the conclusion to a two-parter and I didn’t notice. Anyway, as curator of The Slog, it’s my responsibility now to the read last prog next before continuing. That’ll learn me.

Item: The last few progs have been interesting because they have been running fewer thrills but with longer stories. This prog, as I mentioned, featured a fifteen paged Sinister Dexter while last, the one I skipped, ran a double sized Durham Red. Prog 1084 was a forty-eight paged twenty-first anniversary issue which ran longer versions of all the strips. It’s the sort of content experimentation I’m okay with to be honest. I’m not so sure about skipping weeks in the publishing schedule though, which is what happened after 1084. (Bit of a funny coincidence when you consider that I also jumped a prog here). It just feels like deciding to do so is poor practice for a comic that’s supposed to have a weekly frequency.

Item: I’m alarmed at the rate of improvement artist Alex Ronald is displaying. Each time I see a new strip drawn by him it’s vastly better than the one he did before. His work on Judge Dredd Headbangers in prog 1084was excellent and, although I don’t want to underestimate the role of Gary Caldwell’s colouring, at this rate of improvement, I fully expect to see Ronald in demand to draw everything by 2004.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Arh Alex Ronald. As I mentioned a wee while ago he gets better and better. I love his work by this stage. I argee that Gary Caldwell's colouring is perfect for his work and they make a great team. For me he hasn't yet hit his peak and I feel his Missionary Man is just so wonderful. Its coming to a slog near you soon so I look forward to hearing what you think.

    He's got a really good Blog going these days called 'Never finished only abandoned' which shows just how his work has developed even further over the intervening years

    http://alexronald68.blogspot.com/

    While I have a very big soft spot for his inked work his computer painted work is something again.

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:51 pm  

  • yeah about that skipping a week thing

    That was the editor we'll refer to as Dark bishops idea to stem poor sales by making 2000ad fortnightly and bumping the pages up to 48

    he did it with two issues the all brits issue (which is the one you are coming up to if I recall) and the death issue.

    It wasn't a good idea to be honest

    By Blogger David page, at 12:10 pm  

  • Thanks for the link, Colin.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:03 pm  

  • Fortnightly? What a bad idea!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home