<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, March 05, 2010

Prog 1078 20/01/98

There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog yada yada yada. This time the script robot who owes me a pint, Dan Abnett, is responsible for setting the tone due to him writing four-fifths of this issue. Abnett is now the writer of Durham Red which opens with a double-sized episode. Setting the story twelve hundred years after Pete Hogan’s run seems to be pretty good thinking on the author’s part. At least it frees the character from the rest of the Strontium Dog-verse and opens it up to more possibilities. Mark Harrison paints it fully and I was right about the new paper, his work looks amazing. Like a great big special effect.

Sinister Dexter continues its long run with another one-off called Dressed to Kill. In it, we learn that Dexter considers himself to be the best dressed shark in Download City and is mortified when they encounter another hit man and a bunch of body guards all wearing the same suit. It’s not a surprise for me to learn that the characters have such shallow and narcissistic priorities which is why I feel that this thrill works better as a bunch of pop one-offs instead of longer stories where the lack of substance shows.

Abnett also writes a great little Vector 13 called Houdini. Set in 1993, a building contractor renovating an old theatre starts to receive phone calls from escapologist Houdini. I just think this is a great notion, the idea of Harry Houdini escaping death decades after he was supposed to have died. It seems almost a shame that more doesn’t get made of it. In fact, I think it’s very generous of Abnett to allow this cool idea to vent into our consciousnesses via a normally tedious series of five paged comic strips.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • another drunk post. Bear with me.

    I love Durham red's artist at this time, and liked his work in White dwarf, in the Traveller strip.


    But as usual the plot left me a bit cold. Dunno if I was just too bitter to appreciate anything new at this time ( I suspect so and have promised myself to re read Dante etc) but I still enjoyed the art but didn't like the DC style tits an arse of this series. Yup durhams a fox. But does she have to get her kit off so much?

    Rgds

    l

    By Blogger OrLoK, at 4:01 am  

  • What a difference new paper makes eh?

    By Blogger David page, at 1:11 pm  

  • It's still early days in this story for me OrLok. She hasn't got her kit of yet.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

  • Yeah, it looks more vibrant, David.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home