<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Prog 1077 13/01/98

Things change this prog with cover paper stock now used throughout. I remember commenting somewhere at the time how 2000 AD now felt like a wall paper catalogue. Actually, it should hopefully put an end to that issue which has plagued the comic for years and that’s dark reproduction of fully painted artwork. It does come at a price though; a reduced page count by four, back to the original thirty-two. There was a time, a few years ago, when Tharg made a big deal about the comic being printed entirely on recycled paper; I don’t know if this is still the case.

Despite no longer buying 2000 AD at this time, I did return for this prog because I was intrigued by the issue long (twenty four pages) Judge Dredd story, In the Year 2120. After disaster being foretold in 2120 for Mega City One back when I was a little kid at the start of The Judge Child Quest the thrill itself has at last reached the actual day of truth, something John Wagner and the readers never honestly thought would happen. As far as I was concerned though, all of the threads from that premonition got tied up years ago at the end of the City of the Damned saga.

In the story, a smog has settled over the entire city resulting in an increase in violent crime and suicides. Dredd spots who he thinks is the Judge Child and races after him but Owen Krysler changes into The Mutant and all of the stuff seen in City of the Damned seems to start to come true. Thank God then for Judge Anderson who has a psi-flash, tracks Dredd down and helps him overcome whatever it is that’s happening inside his mind.

Jason Brashill draws the story and, I must admit, his work here is too fast and loose for my tastes. It’s surprising to me that in an issue where the paper for the first time seems best disposed for his more considered painty-style that he would chose his less attractive inky –style instead. As for John Wagner’s story; there was no need for it as none of us were really expecting it but, if it’s happening anyway, I’m disappointed something more satisfying didn’t result. Instead, at the end, we get fobbed off with the question, did mass anxiety about this day cause the smog or was it the other way around?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I've never read this issue its one of the very few 2000ads from the late 90s that I don't own

    By Blogger David page, at 4:43 pm  

  • I unfortunately did read this issue. I also came back for it as City of the Damned was one of my favourites as a kiddie. I have to say this was the worst Dredd story I have ever read - even worse than the ones written by other writers who get him completely wrong.

    And if there was ever an artist less suited to the story it was Jason Brashil! Grrr

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 4:49 pm  

  • Maybe you should look through ebay for a copy, David, just incase i'm wrong :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:42 pm  

  • It's not a story that's made me cross, Victor, but yes, it could have been a lot better.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home