<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, March 01, 2010

Prog 1070 25/11/97

Item: In the interests of full disclosure I would like to announce that I am no longer reading Tharg’s editorials for The Slog. They’re pretty much the same every week and I find the prospect of reading them depressing. I hope you’re not disappointed but I’ve done pretty well so far I think and, actually, I’m not that bothered if you are.

Item: For a strip that has some pretty good writer and artist robots working on it, Vector 13 is increasingly contrived and wearing recently. 2000 AD is supposed to be a comic and yet this ‘thrill’ insists upon telling stories in the first person narrative, pretty much ignoring speech balloons and often defeating the point of an artist altogether. The thought of an episode focusing on the assignation of US President John F Kennedy is a pretty depressing one given the weeks of obvious conspiracies that Vector 13 has churned out at us already.

At least writer Dan Abnett strips down the text and visualises the proceedings for this episode by having the narrator walk amongst the events as he tells the story. What makes this Vector 13 fun is it works more like a Future Shock in that the reveal has JFK being assassinated by gun sharks Sinister Dexter. I completely admire Abnett’s audacity on this occasion. Well done. Unfortunately, this prog’s cover by Steve Sampson pretty much gives the game away, which is a shame as artist Neal Brand had worked so hard at concealing it until the climax of the story. Ho-hum.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • I have not read this issue. I am glad to see I did not miss much. I loved the way tharg, lets call him David Bishop, would often reveal the content of the story with a cover or a cheap tagline.

    I am disappointed that you will no longer be reading tharg's editorial. He must have spent ages writing it each week!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 6:01 pm  

  • Yeah I freaking hate covers which give the game away on endings that are supposed to shock....

    like a recent green lantern cover which did this. I swear if (when) stickleback is revealed to be an established character (which is my guess as to where its going) and it reveals it on the cover I will be pissed

    By Blogger David page, at 8:52 pm  

  • Being drunk, let's call me David bishop, why did you stop Reading the editorial? As I harped on in one of my original posts, I got bored when feedback got vicously censored or they only posted positive feedback and pooh poohed anythin which didn't follow the corporate line. Good or bad, I still love me progs, but I'll never be a blinkered fanboi.

    Was it around this time in the megazine where there was one chap who continued to write critical letters and go lambasted by The faithful?

    Perhaps I just pulled a spoiler.

    Or a bishop if you will.

    Lok

    By Blogger OrLoK, at 5:30 am  

  • In fairness to Bish-op, for a comic that used to have an editor and 3 sub-eds plus a meg that used to have an editor plus a sub there was just him and A.n Other (not sure if Diggle had turned up at this stage) to edit both magazines. I think writing the editorial was the least of his worries.

    Or perhaps he just uses over-work as an excuse for drastic mistakes like Blair 1 and the Space Girls.

    By Blogger Derek, at 8:25 am  

  • Getting away from the Bishiop bashing for a bit (sorry, cheap shot I know), does anyone else think that JFK on the cover here looks really rather a lot like the evil cigarette-smoking man from X-Files, the show that inspired Vector 13?

    It's a nice touch.

    I have very little memory of reading these Progs when they first came out. I think I read them in batches during my holidays from University.

    Interesting that your post about the Sex Prog got way more comments than most posts. I wonder if the actual Prog sold in big numbers, too?

    By Blogger alexf, at 9:56 am  

  • Victor, I think there might have been a lot of copying a pasting of previous editorials going on at this time.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:40 pm  

  • I haven't been following all of that Green Lantern stuff David, but yeah, giving away the twist on the cover is tad dumb.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:41 pm  

  • Sorry OrLok, the editorials are no fun anymore. I haven't read the letters page for ages. (I used to).

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

  • Derek, Bish-OP might have a good excuse for repeatative editorials but I don't have to read or like them :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:45 pm  

  • It would be interesting to know what impact the sex prog had on sales, especially after, Alex.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home