<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Prog 1062 30/09/97

There it is, running across the cover above the logo for the entire world to see, should it choose to look, all the evidence we need. ‘2000 AD… Forever sinewy, pert and sexy – Loaded’. So, all of that hard work courting Loaded Magazine has at last paid off. It’s a shame that Loaded has past its peak by this time and is on the descent.

There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog blah blah blah. This time we get a double-sized helping of Judge Dredd drawn by the continuously improving Alex Ronald, another dry Vector 13, a Sinister Dexter painted by the excellent Paul Johnson and, dare I believe my eyes, a strip called Space Girls?!

I’m not entirely sure what the thinking is behind commissioning a strip designed to exploit the popularity of girl group The Spice Girls in 2000 AD. We’ve established already that the comic is now aimed at ‘grown-ups’ so what is Tharg doing trying to appeal to twelve year old girls? It feels a bit like grooming to me. Besides, haven’t The Spice Girls already passed their peak of success with Geri Halliwell due to leave the group in just eight months time?

At the time, I remember seeing this prog’s cover in the newsagent and thinking how glad I was to not be buying 2000 AD anymore. But actually, if it were still an all ages comic, Space Girls would be a nice bit of pop fun. Writer John Tomlinson, always professional, manages to capture the flirty energy that the actual Spice Girls generated while Jason Brashill’s fast art style adds further momentum.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • Arh 'Space Girls' there ain't been much I've given up on when reading these issues of later, try as I might however I just couldn't bring myself to get through the third part of this horrible strip.

    In some ways this type of issue sums up why I think 2000ad was slowly getting back on its feet at this time. Sure there is complete pish, Vector 13 and Space Girls but the twin rocks of Sinister Dexter and Dante, though Dantes not in this issue, one or other normally being present and some great Dredd means that that rubbish is almost always bolstered by enough good or great material. The good stuff is starting to slowly build to the a majority.

    There are times in the 900s when most the comic was entirely 'muh' and inspired no interest for me.

    Pleased to hear you still think Alex Ronald is still improving. Missionary Man is on its way... I'll not labour the point...

    By Blogger Colin, at 9:11 pm  

  • The intro of the Space Girls marks the start of a short but quite distinct gimmick phase -- within the space of 13 weeks, there's this, A Life Less Ordinary, the sex issue and B.L.A.I.R 1, only the last of which has any kind of followup (and that's mostly killing it off).

    By Blogger James Moar, at 11:43 pm  

  • Woo hoo the space girls. I'm surprised this wasn't written by bisop as it reeks of soul sisters and straightjacket fits. It is the unfunny funny strip, and with characters like 'wide open space' I don't think this was in anyway aimed at kids, I think it was supposed to be aimed at what the editor thought the readers to be - sex starved drooling lock-ins who like sword and sorcery and conspiracy theories! But as we all know that is only partly true. I was never a fan of sword and sorcery.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 9:23 am  

  • if it were still an all ages comic, Space Girls would be a nice bit of pop fun.

    wait until four progs time then rethink that paul...

    By Blogger David page, at 1:45 pm  

  • I don't know why I was so nice about Space Girls, Colin. I've seen sense today.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:54 pm  

  • James, I do the Sex Issue today.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:54 pm  

  • Victor - "sex starved drooling lock-ins who like sword and sorcery and conspiracy theories!" 2000 AD are much more than that :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:56 pm  

  • David, it was one prog later that i thought, what was i thinking?!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home