<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Prog 1059 09/09/97

Item: Well, The Slog is entering an all new era as I now encounter a run of progs that I’ve never read before. It means that, on the whole, it may be harder for me to contextualise them and I may now experience them in their own right. Whatever, I also have only just over three more months before The Slog is all over and then I’m FREE! Free, to read what I want, any ol’ time.

Item: Check out this ad for 2000 AD’s subscription service from this prog. Wha ha ha ha ha ha haa! Oh ho ho ho ho ho ho ho! A ha ha ha ha ha ha! Oh, Durham Red, what happened to you?

Item: I Was a Teenage Tax Consultant, by the mighty, old school team of John Wagner and Ian Gibson, finishes this prog. Jimmy Root is a young, motorbike repair man who, after being bitten by a rabid tax consultant one night, turns into one himself every full moon. I’ve been told that this thrill was original commissioned for elsewhere although it’s hard to imagine where. Perhaps it was drawn for the old shaped 2000 AD, as the entire series has appeared with a top banner running above each page to make it fit the current format.

Tharg, let’s call him David Bishop, has been describing this thrill as ‘bizarre’ and he’s correct. It’s not really sat right with me from the start, as if it’s an idea that Wagner should have lived with for longer, giving it the opportunity to evolve into something more… accessible. That’s not to say that it hasn’t been entertaining, but I’m glad that it hasn’t run for more than its sixty pages either.

Gibson’s art has been amazing on this one. We don’t see much of his work around the Nerve Centre these days. It’s probably some of the most beautiful work that he’s produced. My only criticism is that I’ve often found it difficult to work out what era the strip is supposed to be set in because of it. Sometimes I’ve felt Tax Consultant to be a satire the portrayal of fifties teenagers, other times I’ve wondered if it’s set in the seventies thanks to the gangs of bikers, and other times today (1997). I’m not saying that his artwork looks old fashioned but that this muddying of the time periods has only helped to make the strip seem even odder.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • I saw the picture for todays entry and just laughed. I really had not realised how blatently smutty 2000ad was at this time.

    Can you also subscribe to Durham Red's bottom?

    Don't worry, the paper stock will change soon to nice shiny wipe clean paper.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 6:08 pm  

  • I just had a look at how much longer I was reading for.

    I stopped reading regularly with the sex issue. That was just too much for me.

    I came back for the city of the damned story and a couple of more issues here and there, but that was the donkey the broke the camel's back

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 6:48 pm  

  • Pretty sure neither spines nor waists work like that.

    By Blogger Mark, at 8:27 pm  

  • Oh, and the Chris Weston fan in me tells me I really should get the sex issue someday. Maybe when I'm really bored, dibbling about on Ebay.

    By Blogger Mark, at 8:28 pm  

  • Oh, and the Chris Weston fan in me tells me I really should get the sex issue someday. Maybe when I'm really bored, dibbling about on Ebay.

    It would be easier just to find the first gn of nikolai dante it has that story in it.

    Also ending the slog say it isn't so?!?

    By Blogger David page, at 12:17 pm  

  • I'm really looking forward to the sex issue, Victor :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:41 pm  

  • I tried to recreate the pose myself for the slog, amrk, but you'll be pleased to elarn that I didn't succeed. I am talking to you from hospital.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

  • Sorry David, but it's still a few months away.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:44 pm  

  • off topic but another classic ex-2000ad artist is now working for DC Thomson.

    I asked the Commando editors and they confirmed

    "

    http://www.2000adonline.com/vault/creators/mike_white

    Yes, Derek. Well spotted. It is indeed the same Mike White, who, according to the link at the official website above, drew many stories for 2000AD from 1978 till 1994. He was responsible for many one-off Future Shocks and Time Twister (with some written by Alan Moore) tales, but is probably best known for his work on tough future-sports story Mean Arena.
    "

    Good news for another solid artist eh?

    By Blogger Derek, at 7:08 pm  

  • Thanks for the update, Derek.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home