<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Prog 1050 08/07/97

Item: I must have been doing The Slog for a long time now as, increasingly, I’m dry on what to say in these entries. So, thank God it’s a re-launch prog. There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog although increasingly these days there is. (And I feel as if I’ve already said that at least once recently). It’s now standard practise for a re-launch prog to feature just four thrills and for the slack to be taken up with status pages and ads. Thing is, I don’t really have an opinion as to weather this is something to be annoyed about or if it’s perfectly understandable in the circumstances.

Item: At the moment, Greg Staples seems to be one of Tharg’s favourites. Recently he co-created Mercy Heights and for this prog he’s credited as co-creator of Witch World whereas in fact he’s not drawing Witch World at all but off gallivanting all over this week’s Judge Dredd strip. I wonder if the chance to pitch thrill ideas to the editor is part of Staples and Tharg’s special relationship or if it’s something that’s open to all art droids. I know if I was a script droid, the prospect of Tharg telling me I have to write another thrill created by his current hot artist who isn’t even going to draw it would irritate the hell out of me.

Item: I’ll write a better entry next time.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • I'm pretty sure it was Kevin walker who co created Mercy Heights.

    Greg Staples redesigned venus blue genes, you may be thinking of that.

    I think it is unfair and cheap when they drop the story count for intro pages and ads. In house ads used to really annoy me as they would not even be for upcoming items but ones that had been out for ages.

    I think you have slog fatigue. You are just flipping through the progs almost as time served. But I do not think that is because you have read almost 1000 issues I think its because these progs are uninspiring and so reading them is not really rewarding like it used to be. Even 50 progs before this tehre was a sense of hope and fun.

    At this point 2000ad seems faddish, cynical, greedy and tired. nad I put that down to the 'tone at the top'.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 6:08 pm  

  • I met Greg Staples at a recent shot for the Judge Minty film (www.judgeminty.com) he was very friendly and made a great Dredd.

    See Paul your posts are fine it compared to my replies!

    By Blogger Colin, at 6:27 pm  

  • ot utterly

    Judge Minty? oooh, whos doing the music, I have some contacts in that area.

    Having a quick peek at the site i couldnt locate anything.

    Looks damn interesting though. and dredd looks good too.

    Back OT

    Well paul, you don't strike me as one who is usually lost for words, so it's probably more the progs fault than your own.

    Judging by the other comments about, it seems there's quite a few of us who think that progs lost alot of it's its thrill power.

    But, comparing it to many other comics, it is still great, but perhaps we've come to expect too much? and no matter what their output is like, its hard for them to reach that level of splendiffery.

    Another thing I noticed whilst peeking at this issues cover was the tag line "Anderson faces her Deadliest Case" or some such.

    This was something that started to annoy me about strips like Dredd.

    for every two weeks in their timeline they seemed to have the equivelent of an apocalypse war.

    What ever happened to outlining more of the day to day Mega City goings on and "regular" crimes?

    Stookie Gland anyone?

    Maybee I am being a bit cynical, as there were things like dredds niece cropping up, but didnt she also get sucked into some saga?

    If they spread out these major "events" then they would have far more impact on us readers.

    Sorry... , I seem to be under the false impression that this blog has become my very own Mega Soap Box.

    apologies in advance.

    rgds

    LoK

    By Blogger OrLoK, at 1:31 am  

  • Not sure about the music at all. The customs (well all the production stuff) was great.

    Anyway I personally think at this time 2000ad has bottomed out and is on a slow climb back to greatness. There's bumps on the way, oh boy are there some bumps, and its a very different comic to that which it started out as but then hey its 20 odd years later by this time so that shouldn't be a surprise?

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:39 am  

  • The Judge Minty stuff looks brilliant Colin.

    What will you do with it when it is done? Does the Dreddcon still exist? If so you could premier it at something like that.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 1:23 pm  

  • Christ, yes. You're right, Victor. Maybe I'll edit my entry :-).

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:54 pm  

  • Your replies are fine also, Colin.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:55 pm  

  • Orlok, Dredd is saga free at the moment, and although Hotdog Run which recvently finished went on a bit, it doesn't qualify as a saga as far as I'm concerned.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:57 pm  

  • Oh christ I'm not making it - I have nothing like that talent! I just went to the shoot to do some extra work for them and nerd out.

    By Blogger Colin, at 7:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home