<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Prog 1033 11/03/97

Item: Tharg’s back in the editorial box and it’s like he’s never been away. Really, whoever writes Tharg’s voice pretty much uses the same tone as they did when they wrote the Vector 13 characters. But at least he’s back spiritually, superficially or whatever. Tharg returned last issue in a special episode of Vector 13 written by real editor David Bishop (although credited to ‘MIB’). In it, editorial robot Bish-OP is spared a visit to Mek-Quake by Tharg because all of the upcoming thrills he has commissioned are zarjaz. We’ll see about that, won’t we? Looking at my entry for Prog 1017, it might seem to some of you that I overreacted to him being replaced as he’s only been absent for twenty weeks but you have to remember that, for all I knew, the change was permanent.

Item: There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog, although the previous owner of the copies currently being used for The Slog didn’t seem to think so. This and the next three issues are still shrink-wrapped with their free gifts. Was the guy I bought this collection off so jaded by 2000 AD at this point that even though he bought it every week he threw it straight into a box without reading it?

This issue comes with a format change. It’s now slightly narrower meaning, I guess, it’s more open to reproduction in the standard US comic format. That doesn’t happen from this point on but I do prefer the taller looking comic. The logo has been tweaked to look less dominating although, so far, Dredd’s name is still absent from it. We do get two Judge Dredd stories as compensation, though.

Item: Mercy Heights starts this prog. This is a thrill that I never got into, I suspect mainly because of my own increased indifference to the comic at this time. It’s going to be interesting over the next few issues to see if I actually like it or not. My intention was to read the opening episode for The Slog and see what I felt about it in its own right. To be honest, I’m not sure. The art is great and the story has a good momentum but there’s a lot of concept and characters to discover that the thrill could have made easier for reader. So, I’m still undecided. Sorry.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • The next prog's free gift was better as it was a fun what if, ith the idea of the comic being launched in the late 90s. Sadly it also gave us Blair 1, a funny idea eventually run into the ground.

    I'm fairly certain that BishOP had finally burned off all of the remaining backlog so everything from this point on is stuff he commissioned. I remember quite liking Mercy Heights at the time but that might have been because i thought that Tor cyan would turn out to be Friday.

    Chris

    By Blogger kennyevil, at 10:55 am  

  • Hullo there,

    I too, have "Prog Slogged" all 2000ad Comics. (not all annuals/spin offs though)

    It took about a month, spending a few hours a day.

    Whether it was a thrillpower overload, or whether some thrillsuckers got in by comic stash, I found the whole of the experience a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride.

    I loved the "immaturity" / "innocence" of the beginning progs and loved reading well up to the mid 1990's issues.

    Then things began to change...

    There always were one or two duff stories running alongside the greats, and I can appreciate one man's meat is an others poison, but I found myself flicking over more and more stories I just could not be arsed to read and finding the whole tone of the comic to be a bit "too cool for school".

    I also noticed that even in the letters pages, any critcism being cruelly shot down, compared to the early progs where critical feedback was actively encouraged.

    I still buy my progs now and then but the passion i felt (and still feel when i re-read the early-mid issues) has waned dramatically.

    A sign of overload? Perhaps, but be warned... your emotions will be pulled hither and yon, but it's a great thing you are undertaking, I'd recommend it to anyone.

    Splundig Vur Thrigg

    rgds

    orlok

    By Blogger OrLoK, at 4:46 pm  

  • I talk about 3000 AD in today's entry, Chris.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:37 pm  

  • Nice to hear from you orlok. God knows how you managed to read so many comics in so short a time. It has been an emotional ride, although my patience with the comic got tested innitially around the late eighties. Over all, I'm enjoying it, but I'm also looking forward to it being over.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home