<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Prog 1031 25/02/97

The second half of Slaine Treasures of Britain ends this prog with the latest quest completed and King Arthur restored to his former glory. I’ve enjoyed this story more so than other recent Slaine tales. One of the reasons is that Ukko seems to have returned to form. While Slaine strolls around being all serious and self important, Ukko gets into scrapes, not always of his own making, which brighten the proceedings.

Another reason is Dermot Power’s artwork. As you know, I’m not often inclined towards the fully painted art style, but this is because, those artists that use it aren’t always strong story tellers or have over estimated the quality of 2000 AD’s reproduction. Power’s work always looks colourful and well told. He certainly deserves to be more highly regarded.

Another painty artist who has all of the good qualities that Power has but his own very definite style is Paul Johnson, whose run on Janus PSI Faustus also ends this prog. Johnson is another artist I’m surprised isn’t thought more fondly of. There’s dynamism to his work that I’m very fond of. He’s like a painty artist who looks to have been more influenced by silver age comic artists and very early art robots. I love it.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • This reminds me of John McCrea's story about Glenn Fabry and Dermot Power.

    "(on the subject of painted comic art)I was just ripping Glenn off! Just looking at his artwork and trying to analyse how he did it, and turning out inferior copies of it. As were many people at the time. Dermot Power created his entire career out of that. Glenn rang him up one time, and said, 'How about introducing me to some of the movie guys you're working for,' and Dermot said, 'No.'

    So no-one thought too highly of Dermot after that. I don't think he talks to any of us anymore, now he's living on his Lear jet.
    "

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:26 pm  

  • Haha. That's a funny story.

    I never enjoyed Dermot's painted art everyone alwayl looked too wooden and blotchy. in fact there were few of the painted artists that I actually did like (Walker was one and Johnson another) anfd i much preferred Fabry in black and white and felt he was just copying bisley at this point in his career.

    Bisley was amazing but he left a poor legacy.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 9:08 am  

  • I often think fondly of Paul Johnson's artwork, Paul. Sadly there aren't very many venues for me to declare the fact.

    By Blogger alexf, at 2:00 pm  

  • What a meanie. I worked with someone who knew him at this time, Mark. I tried to act unimpressed.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:39 pm  

  • I agree with you re Glen Fabry, Victor. I always prefered his B&W work too.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:40 pm  

  • Don't tell me that here's the best place, Alex. That's awful.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home