<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Prog 988 19/04/96


It’s not common for a thrill that annoyed me first time around to annoy me even more for The Slog but RAM Raiders manages it. Set in the near future of 2008, Codey is a computer repair man who steals business from larger companies. Meg is his assistant and girl fiend. In the opening story, Love and War, Codey bluffs his way into Canary Wharf to fix the building’s malfunctioning computer.

And this is why it’s really annoying. I don’t get how somebody who raids business off of other companies can invoice for the work. I don’t see how walking into the building and saying, ‘yeah, I’m from the other company’ gets him entry. (He actually says, “If anymore ACME guys show up, tell them I can handle this alone”.) I don’t understand, even if they believed him to be from the legitimate company, how he’s able to order everyone evacuated from the building, to walk freely around Canary Wharf and to demand that all the power be switched off.

If you can accept that computer and business security is even worse in 2008 than in 1996, then you’ve still got the characters to contend with. Writer Alan McKenzie, much of whose other work I respect, has tried to give them a flirty rapport but they just look and sound like Big Brother contestants. Not even the memorable ones but the shitty ones that get voted out at the end of week one. And I really hate that fucking hat Codey wears all the time.

On the positive side, I like the art by Callum Alexander Watt. It’s clean, clear and fresh and I hope to see more of it on another thrill before The Slog is through.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • You know I didn't hate this. So many people do so I guess I'll call this one a guilty pleasure! Its a bit of fun, absolutely inconsequencial but fun, and I actually liked the two lead characters.

    The art (certainly in the first story) is great but alas although it will appear in slog stories to come he doesn't do too much more for 2000ad.

    By Blogger Colin, at 7:33 am  

  • I also enjoyed thi although I did read it when i was 15 and have not read it since. Maybe I should give it another read . ..

    I liked the art on the second series although it was rough around the edges.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 1:03 pm  

  • As you will see from today's entry Colin, I've withdrawn some of my citisism of RAM Raiders. Not all though.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:44 pm  

  • Victor, see my entry for today... I backed down.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:44 pm  

  • I can't remember RAM RAIDERS for the life of me. It obviously made a big impression on me it seems.

    By Blogger Rhinocerouslip Bumcrack, at 10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home