<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Prog 984 22/03/96

The problem with PSIs to the world of Judge Dredd is, left in the hands of a weaker writer, they can be used as a convenient plot get out clause. So the fascistic editorial voice in my head says to keep the number of them appearing in solo strips down to a minimum as they run a danger of unbalancing the credentials of the head thrill. Now that Judge Anderson has returned to duty in Mega City One after here sabbatical (see The Megazine) there isn’t, in my editorial point of view, any space left for others. However, from the point of view of a reader, I can make an exception for Janus PSI.

In A New Star, three young PSIs are murdered in the Academy by the ghost of Ashley, a young PSI brutally killed before. Janus follows Ashley to purgatory itself for a final showdown with the supernatural mentalist.

If you’re Tharg, how can you say no to Mark Millar and Paul Johnson when they pitch a new Janus PSI story to you? Johnson is a completely solid story teller whose painted art is colourful and exciting. Millar writes this in a smart, bright and upbeat tone, which is really an achievement given the story’s themes of death. It’s just a shame that the run is only five episodes long.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • PSIs not important? Ho ho ho.

    I liked Janus (although I pronounced it as 'tan-us' rather than 'anus'.

    I thought Grant Morrisson wrote this one on his own? Or has my memory tricked me again! It is funny how all these memories of progs are in the wrong order in my memory. I always thought that the Pit was years after wilderlands and the tenth planet. But hre we are already there.

    What prog will you be slogging on to? And are we still in the slide?

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 12:18 pm  

  • The Janus story is definately credited to Millar but Tharg has already announced that another is on the way, I think.

    I'm sloggin up to prog 1188, then it's all over. Yippee!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:46 pm  

  • Its funny Paul, that 1188 is about when 2000ad starts to get good again!

    All these other female psi's seemed to be all a bit samey to me. You would think that after being 15 years in the academy of law that a fair few of them would have turn into arseholes

    By Blogger Derek, at 5:55 pm  

  • Or unattractive :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:59 pm  

  • Indeed :)

    By Blogger Derek, at 6:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home