<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Prog 977 02/02/96

Steve White and Dan Abnett seem to be playing writers-relay with each other. Together they are writing Flesh Chronocide, the strip that they probably shouldn’t be thanks to it being the creation of Mister Pat Mills. Set twenty thousand and eighty million years ago, it’s not entirely clear yet how the two eras are connected although it probably has something to do with a terrorist group’s plan to release smallpox and wipe out mankind before he gets a proper grip.

White and Abnett seem to be a good partnership as the story is tight and the protagonists likable, although, intriguingly, they’ve avoided populating the strip with rampaging tyrannosaurs and the like which, to me, defines Flesh. Gary Erskine’s art manages to be stylish, clear and perfectly told all at once.

Over in Venus Bluegenes Venus on the Frag Shell, the Rogue Trooper spin off, Dan Abnett is in charge. Venus is lumbered with a Nort deserter with what transpires to be a perfectly rational phobia of water. It’s early days for this strip but what makes it most interesting so far is how improved Simon Coleby’s art is. Before I’ve been critical of his work for its samey character physicality and wonky angles but now those issues seem to have been fixed. Here his unique sense of perspective is used to effect and his characterisation strong. I’m delighted by it.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Yeah that 'Flesh' story was just really brisk fun. It lacked anything to make me desperate for it to come back (that'd be the rampaging T-Rexs!) but at the same time was very pleasent to have around. It just goes to show there's a lot that could be done in the the Flesh world (for want of a better phrase) and its a shame that Mills is so protective of his creations as I'm sure many a writer could have had fun in that playground?

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:51 am  

  • Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    I remember really enjoying this flesh series, especially the art.

    Dan Abnett was a writer I really did not like. All of his stories seemd like marvel UK throwbacks and not 2000ad style thrills. However I do have to say I have read some of his most recent 2000ad stuff and I think he is an excellent writer now. I would recommend Atavar and Kingdom.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 5:06 pm  

  • Good assesment, Colin. Completely agree with you.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:26 pm  

  • Happy New Year, Victor. I completely agree with you regarding Dan Abnett. I hated his work for 2000 AD first time around. So far for The Slog, though, I haven't quite pinned down why. I've quite liked his stuff so far.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home