<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Prog 1027 28/01/97

Item: In his editorial, the Vector 13 character announces the start of a new company called Fleetway Film and Television set up to develop and produce projects based on 2000 AD characters for the big and small screens. The Man in Black guy quotes a lot from what I presume to be the press release. “We learned from our experience with Judge Dredd that we needed a much more hands-on involvement with the development and production of movies based on our characters.” In other words, the Judge Dredd film was rubbish and the fall out from it has had a detrimental impact on both the sales of the line of comics and licensing. Just in case you’re interested, there have been no films based on 2000 AD characters since this announcement.

Item: Janus: PSI Faustus reaches part 4 this prog. Or is it part 3? I ask because this strip was originally commissioned for the Megazine but, for some reason, has ended up here. Normally, Megazine strips run at about seven or eight pages each and yet now, each episode has been running at the standard six. It means even though Mark Millar and Grant Morrison wrote the story in episodic form somebody, let’s for the sake of argument call him David Bishop, has chopped them up and spliced them together for publication here. It wasn’t more apparent than in last prog’s episode where halfway through the story jarringly jumped forward in time. This is appalling, especially when you think that there is no reason why it couldn’t appear here as it was originally intended. Fortunately, one of the advantages of reading progs in quick succession to each other for The Slog is it enables me to follow strips that when read a week apart would have baffled me and I can tell you that Faustus is delicious fun.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • I really disliked darkside. The story did not hit the mark for me at all and although the art was nice it was ruined by the Dredd-ful colouring of Alan Craddock. I really cannot understand how this guy got so much work on 2000ad, his colouring was awful!

    I enjoyed Janus however. I never noticed the cut and paste nture of the script first time around.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 2:46 pm  

  • As I mentioned in the comments section for the last entry

    the budget cuts of the meg which led to huge swathes of necropolis being reprinted caused janus, darkside and later als baby, judge anderson, missionary man and devlin waugh to end up in 2000ad

    By Blogger David page, at 3:51 pm  

  • Victor, I retract some of my comments about the cut and pasting on Janus in today's entry.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:39 pm  

  • Do you know if these strips were cut up to accomdate the different demands of the weekly, David? I didn't notice any jarring in Darkside, for example.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:40 pm  

  • Not that I noticed but It has been a while since I read them

    By Blogger David page, at 1:42 pm  

  • I noticed what I think is some more splicing in the penultimate episode so I'm sure that it went on.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:54 pm  

  • Darkside was commissioned as a bunch of 8-page eps for the Meg. For reasons I can't recall anymore [pure desperation when something else went sideways, no doubt], it got reconfigured into 6-page eps for 2000 AD. Strangely, the glue wasn't all that obvious on most of the joins.

    By Blogger DAVID BISHOP, at 4:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home