<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Prog 1007 03/09/96

Slaine is good example of a signifier to me that I’ve been reading 2000 AD for too long. These days, the character is a timeless warrior travelling up and down in time, enacting the Goddess’s wishes. But usually I miss the old Slaine. The one that was banished from his tribe and wandered the Land of the Young getting into all sorts of scrapes thanks to money and lust. However, I seem to have come around to the current Slaine. I quite enjoyed Lord of Misrule and, so far, The Treasures of Britain seems pretty strong too.

In this tale, Slaine and his unfaithful dwarf Ukko arrive in Arthurian Britain. For Arthur and his knights, their heroic days seem to be behind them. On behalf of the Goddess, a united Morgan La Fee and Merlin task Slaine with finding the magical treasures of Britain to unite the land. But the likable Saxon warrior, Hengwulf, is also interested in the treasure, and he has seen in the runes that he triumphs.

The usual themes that we’ve come to expect from a Pat Mills story are present here, but the wider and stronger cast seem to bring out the best in him. Although at its root this is another Slaine-goes-on- a-quest-to-find-some-stuff story, Mills’ spin on the Arthurian legend, the environment that it takes place in, is entertaining in its own right. Dermot Power’s art is great. As you know, I’m not always inclined to a painty artist, but Powers work seems to have been made for reproduction and the colourful bold images haven’t been created at the expense of good story telling.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Treasures of Britain was the last time I really enjoyed Slaine for well...ever. There's a couple of ok bits after this and I've still not read 'Book of Invasion' but its a strip that really has run its course (come on Mr Mills prove me wrong!).

    While I'm saying that Paul and not wishing to drag things to an aside. Take a break when you reach 1188 if you need but come back to the fold as from the reading I've done the Prog gets better and better as time goes on from here on in... and we'll miss Prog Slog (selfish what selfish...)

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:45 am  

  • It's not selfish, I think you have a public duty to continue the slog. I have heard rumblings that the Govenment are thinking of enacting legislation to that effect very soon (if they win the upcoming election).

    I did not like slaine's later adventures. They were ok, but none of the arists could stand up to Bisley and the story felt like it concluded at the end of the Horned God. It just felt cheap to drag him out. I understand that Mills had no inclination to create a new character to replace Slaine (de to creator rights) but (like ABC Warriors) mills just felt like he was hacking it out. Maybe if I re-read them in one volume it would be different.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 9:22 am  

  • Book of Invasion is on my Amazon list as well, Colin.

    The Slog is unlikely to continue after 1188 but thanks for the kind words and perhaps, after a loooong break, I might be inclined to return.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:47 pm  

  • Thanks for the support as well, Victor.

    I agree with you about The Horned God feeling like the end. In fact, I'm sure it was going to be at one time. For me, Slaine was at it's best when drawn by Mike McMahon.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:49 pm  

  • ONe ray of sunshine about finishing on 1188 is that you wont have to read all of The truly awful Secret Commonwealth.

    Books of Invasion contains the perfect ending to the whole Slaine saga. Is just a pity there's another Book after it.

    By Blogger Peter, at 12:33 am  

  • I don't even know what Secret Commonwealth is, Peter. Books of Invasion is on my Wish List for after The Slog when I can face it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home