<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Judge Dredd Lobo

Another cross company team-up (obviously) but this time Judge Dredd meets DC’s space metal-head gun for hire, Lobo. The thought of Dredd meeting someone else is nice if only because it conjures thoughts of him one day going on to encounter Superman or perhaps, my personal dream date, The Incredible Hulk. (Just imagine the Hulk rampaging through Mega City One).

Lobo’s latest client, a shape changing mutant, runs out on him before paying, leaving the Kiss styled greebo no choice but to track him down to Mega City One where he accidentally releases Mean Machine Angel from the Cubes. It’s up to Dredd, already tasked with body-guarding the president of Belgium, to sort it all out.

I’ve never really cared for Lobo. The secret of his success has always struck me as down to him being a DC protagonist who is the opposite of Superman. Unfortunately for me, Psycho-Bikers Vs. the Mutants from Hell reads more like a Lobo story than a Dredd one. Drawn by American, non-2000 AD artist Val Semeiks perfectly well, it lacks the intricacies that I normally associate with Tharg’s art robots. (Perhaps because it was drawn to US comic size). The story is credited to both Alan Grant and John Wagner but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that it was written mainly by Grant. The story seems to be missing that indefinable Wagner class (but, please note, I did break away from reading The Pit mid story to read this which can’t have helped.) Psycho-Bikers Vs. the Mutants from Hell is by no means a disaster, it’s quite good fun actually, it’s just that for an event book it’s just not eventful enough.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Ugh .... another awful DC crossover . .. I bought all of these . . . For me they always felt like Judge Dredd was the sidekick in the story.

    I think this may be because Alan Grant doesn't like JD that much. He seems to see him as a violent meathead lacking the subtle aspects of characters like Batman.

    JD often seems to act like an idiot in Granty stories and that did not sit well with me when I was younger.

    I wonder why JD always goes to DC and wy there was never a marvel crossover. I would have liked to see him battle Dr Doom!

    Oh and using mean machine again as the enemy is so lazy!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 8:09 pm  

  • I certainly remember a certain level of disappointment upon reading this - I can't recall much about the story and that suggests I didn't think it was particularly successful as a cross-over.

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 8:41 am  

  • Much as I love the Pit I thought this was great fun precisely because it didn't try to be an event and there wasn't very much at stake, unlike most of the Batman crossovers. And I can't normally stand Lobo but thought he was a pretty good fit / foil for 2000 AD type characters.

    By Blogger Tam, at 5:17 pm  

  • Interesting point about Alan Grant and Dredd, Victor. I had never considered that before.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:47 pm  

  • I'm having a hard time remembering it already, Kevin, and I only read the thing yesterday.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:48 pm  

  • Thanks Tam. Story wise, it probably had more going on in it than the last two Bat Man cross overs I read for The Slog.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home