<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, December 25, 2009

Prog 972 29/12/95

What are the chances of this happening; a Christmas prog appearing in The Slog on Christmas day? At a guess, I would say 26 to 1. If I wasn’t a man of science but a superstitious fool, I would interpret this as a good omen.

To celebrate, this prog’s Vector 13 tale is less dry than normal and is about a Christmas themed conspiracy theorist whose obsession drives him to killing Santa Clauses. I always remember the grey in black narrator saying this; “Early texts report that the legendary “Santa Klaas” wore a coat of reindeer skin. Turned inside-out so that he might enjoy the warm fur. Perhaps, this is how the cosy 20th centaury image of the man in red began.” I think I always liked the idea that this might actually be true and I repeated it to several people as if it were.

Also this prog, the latest in a series of unlikely one-off appearances. Last prog it was Red Razors, this time it’s Luke Kirby. I like these established characters popping up like this from time to time but I wonder if these are tales originally prepared for yearbooks that didn’t happen rather than being especially commissioned for the weekly.

Finally, Parasites reaches part 9 and I still have no real idea of what is going on. It just reads like a series of random events to me. I don’t know who to blame for this thrill’s lack of clarity. Is it the writer or the artist or both? I’ll be honest with you, I’m perfectly willing to accept that Parasites is a good strip, take personal responsibility and accept that I’ve been unfocused whilst reading it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • :( I wish you would read the next series of the Megazine . . . I had to suffer it ! The slog needs more pain!

    :)

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 5:18 pm  

  • Sorry Victor but my tolerance has really thinned.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home