<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Prog 958 22/09/95

Item: This prog runs a two page feature on the Judge Dredd 1 FM radio drama. I didn’t read it (too many words, not enough pictures) but I thought it was worth mentioning as a good example of movie fall-out. What I heard, I didn’t like. Although a more literal adaptation of the Judge Cal saga The Day The Law Died, I remember it sounding overly camp and zany.

Item: Since the re-launch, Judge Dredd has appeared in a series of especially strong one-off and short story runs written by John Wagner. I noticed very early on in The Slog that Wagner seems to see each re-launch as a psychological fresh start for Dredd and often the result is superior to the returning thrills that we’ve all missed and longed to see again. One possible exception to this is Awakening of Angels, in which we learn that Pa and Junior Angel didn’t perish in the Judge Child Quest after all. I could just about accept Mean returning from the dead a few years ago but this is really pushing it.

It turns out that this story is a prologue of sorts to the main event beginning over in Judge Dredd The Megazine 4. This looks like a bit of a scheduling gaff to me as according to the blurb, number 4 is on sale August 18 but this prog is dated Sept 22. There’s also an ad inside for The Megazine issue 6 dated Sept 16. Any Squaxx who don’t normally read The Megazine intrigued enough to follow the continuation is too late, basically. Thanks for that, Tharg.

Item: In Slaine, we learn the origin of the two finger salute. During their occupation of Britain, Normans would remove the two fingers of suspected indigenous bowmen. During confrontations, men would raise their bow fingers to the occupying forces as a gesture of defiance. It’s hard to believe, I know, but history isn’t my forte but I loved this fact. I would reel it out every now and then to give the impression I was more knowledgeable about things than I actually am. So I was devastated when, a couple of years ago, Stephen Fry dismissed this Pat Mills fact as myth in an episode of QI. I’m still unwilling to accept that this isn’t true, mainly because I’m too lazy to learn a new fact, and personally speaking, if such a position were to become available, I would nominate Pat Mills as national treasure over Stephen Fry any day. So there.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Apparently John Wagner regrets the resurrection of Pa and Junior. I for the life of me can't remember why I know this (or think I do) but I'm pretty confident I've read this.

    Heck much like the finger thing even if its not true, if anybody tells you otherwise stick ya fingers in ya ears (bow fingers or otherwise) and go 'la la can't hear you'.

    By Blogger Colin, at 6:56 pm  

  • Even besides the central idea being a bad one, I thought Awakening of Angels was an unusually flat story (and the misscheduling just made it worse).

    By Blogger James Moar, at 7:13 pm  

  • whether historically based or not I often demonstrate to people that I would be able to fire an arrow. In fact I wold like to demonstrate it to the resurrection of Pa and Junir Angel.

    This was a real low point for me, but do not worry as they return to the prog for a comic one off story told in the form of a song, by Alan Grant and simon jacobs. I bet you an't wait!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 9:18 am  

  • Colin, I've always been very surprised that Wagner did this, especially when considering how good his other stories have been recently.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:03 pm  

  • Yeah, James, the story just seemed a bit weak overall.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:03 pm  

  • Thanks for the warning, Victor.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home