<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Prog 947 07/07/95

Isn’t it funny how you can not like a strip the first time around but on the second enjoy it? Okay, I know I sound like I’m talking as if re-reading the first one thousand or so issues of 2000 AD is common practice, that’s the mental impact that The Slog is having on me, but in the case of Judge Dredd Midnight Kiss, it’s true. First time around, I thought it was just a story about real men with big muscles squaring up to each other in gothic surroundings but this time I can see that it’s about real men with big muscles squaring up to each other in gothic surroundings.

I think that first time, it was me who had the issues. I had decided that Mark Millar was the natural successor to John Wagner should he ever decide to retire and so seeing Garth Ennis back, despite me loving his DC Vertigo work, irked me. This time, I know that his visits to Dredd are only occasional from now on and should be appreciated. I’m also really enjoying Nick Percival’s artwork for the story. Normally, I have a resistance to this style of fully painted art that focuses on the detail of the muscle bulk of all the male characters but Percival’s panel compositions and atmosphere, as if The Cursed Earth is thick with fallout, suits the tone of the story.

Another thrill I’ve enjoyed revisiting is Mambo Fleshworld which finishes this prog. Written and drawn by Dave Hine (that’s right, he used to do both in the olden days) this has been a strip where the balance between visual vitality and grotesquery has been perfect. Fleshworld finishes with Rachel and her assistant, Jaydee, suspended in space in bubbles of atmosphere as the planet below them finishes its transformation into a single bio-mass of writhing flesh. Rachel comments that they might have to wait there for a few months, even years, before a spaceship wanders by and finds them. Personally, I think she’s looking on the positive side.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • Yeah, I think you're right about having different perspectives on stories. I hated Flesh as a seven year old (perhaps unsurprisingly) yet loved it years later.

    What is also interesting is coming back to stories that you loved and thinking, "Huh? What was that all about?" I kinda had this feeling re-reading Judge Cal a few years back.

    By Blogger Robert, at 10:37 am  

  • I really liked Mambo and was saddened that it never came back for a fourth series. I really liked Dave Hine's style and was really looking forward to how he was going to develop. Still, probably worked out for the best.

    Chris

    By Blogger kennyevil, at 10:41 am  

  • I thought I wasn't going to like mambo as I did not like Tao De moto (zzzzz). But when I started reading it I really enjoyed it.

    I remember really liking the Jonny kiss story and thinking 'hey, I really hated ennis's dredds but this is a lot better than what has been happening in recent months . .."

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 1:08 pm  

  • This is about where I didn't even bother to read the progs at the bookshop having become completely disenchanted so I don't have much to directly observe regarding the stories.

    If I remember correctly though, you have The Pit coming up which I got in collected form not so long ago and it was a true Wagner classic.

    By Blogger Derek, at 4:31 pm  

  • Robert, speaking for myself though, I've always liked Flesh and Judge Cal.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:03 pm  

  • Chris, Dave's work is great. Like I say, I would love to see him draw again.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:04 pm  

  • Victor, Jonni Kiss does read like Ennis' farewell.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:05 pm  

  • Derek, my memory of The Pitt is that it's great. Let's see what The Slog says about it :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:06 pm  

  • The Pit was very good arpart fro a couple of things (in my opinion):

    1. the end seemed realy rushed - as if someone had said - right wrap it up in 3 weeks.

    2. The colouring . . . . dear god . . .alan Craddock!!!!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 12:11 pm  

  • All comments from me re The Pit are reserved until I actually re-read it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home