<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Prog 937 28/04/95

After ten weeks, Judge Dredd Crusade concludes this prog. In it, Judge Eckhart returns from a fifteen year deep space mission claiming to have a message from God. Judge representatives from around the world race to Antarctica where Eckhart’s space-probe has landed hoping to claim God’s secrets for themselves. The resulting scramble sees a judge from each of the international judiciaries that we’ve seen so far turn brutally on each other.

Although not an epic, it’s great to see a longer tale painted by the same artist, in this case, Mick Austen. Austen’s art is great here. It’s big, bold, colourful and professionally told. As for the story, I’m not so sure. It’s credited to both Mark Millar and Grant Morrison but I see no sign of Morrison’s contribution. Crusade reads like half an idea to me, as if one of the writers did their job but the other didn’t turn up for work.

The real disappointment in Crusade is the conclusion which fails to clarify the confusion the story creates over what is Grud. If Eckhart has a message from God, then who is Grud? I had always thought that Grud was God but now, it seems, they are two separate entities.

Having said this, I still don’t feel it’s a bad yarn, especially compared to most of the stuff that’s been appearing in The Megazine recently. If you think of Crusade as an excuse to get a bunch of Judges fighting each other, like in a dumb superhero cross over, then it’s fine. Millar, Morrison (yeah, right) and Austen deliver some grotesque and imaginative fates for their cast that makes it all good fun in the end.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Mick Austen was one of my favourite artists around this time. I think he left the comic industry sadly.

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 4:37 pm  

  • Have to say Crusade almost marks a a low in Dredd for me. On my recent read it read like an empty excuse for some ultra violence, masked with a bit of puesdo relgious twoddle. There said it.

    Mind its not my least favourite I think I reserve that honour for 'Frankenstein' whatever it was called.

    Nice Mick Austin art mind!

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:59 am  

  • Kevin, maybe Austen has gone to work somewhere where the money's better and they respect him more.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:16 pm  

  • Hi Colin. You keep mentioning thrills I can't remember. :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home