<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, November 20, 2009

Prog 928 24/02/95

Hooray! We’re back! Just in time to celebrate 2000 AD’s eighteenth birthday. Eighteen? My God. It only seems like yesterday when I read prog 1 for the first time. I can remember it, all inky and exotic. And that colour Bellardinelli centre spread! Wow. Now look at it. All glossy and shiny. And about to release a movie too. I don’t know what to say.

To celebrate, instead of a free gift or extra pages, Tharg is giving away tickets to the new Star Trek film, Generations, in a competition. I like that cover by Dermot Power. It reminds me of the Star Wars cover to prog 166 Brian Bolland drew to mark the release of The Empire Strikes Back. I was big fan of early nineties Star Trek and really excited about Generations but I still didn’t enter this competition. Tharg doesn’t clarify where the tickets can be used (for all I know, they could be invalid at my local cinema), they’re not being given away in pairs (I don’t want to go on my own) and, as far as I recall, I wanted to go on or around the release date not a few weeks after. So, I didn’t bother. But just in case you’re thinking about entering, the answer is Gene Roddenberry.

This prog is also a re-launch prog and, as we’ve established here before, there’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog for reasons, on this occasion, which have mainly been covered above. All stories start afresh making it the ideal jumping on point for Star Trek fans confused into buying the comic by the cover. It also features the unbelievable return of Harlem Heroes written by Michael Fleisher. I can’t believe that it’s back, I really can’t. Just when you think it’s all over, Fleisher’s Harlem Heroes rises from the dead like some lazy horror film villain to annoy the hell out of you. Happy bloody birthday.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • Oh no - poor Paul!

    I see no sooner have you stopped reading the Megazine with its recent proliferation of international judges then you turn to the parent mag to have as the Dredd mini-epic (if I'm not mistaken by the cover), Morrison and Millar's 'Crusade'. Surely the worst international judge story of all time?

    By Blogger Peter A, at 9:49 pm  

  • I like Crusade for a number of reasons:

    1. It is drawn by Mick Austin.
    2. It is the only Judge Dredd story to feature a fight in a talking mine cart.
    3. It is about 300 parts long
    4. The end makes no sense at all.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 10:53 pm  

  • Yeah have to say Crusade is one of the worst Dredd stories ever for me.

    Also look at the rest of the line-up this issue. I mean I like Armoured Gideon enough and I think at the time I enjoyed Finn a little but its not inspiring at all. I think it must have been around this time I stopped really looking forward to reading my 2000ads when I got back from University (my parents still got it with the papers while I was at Uni and I read it when I got home... or I had!)

    By Blogger Colin, at 7:43 am  

  • But it has Mick Austen art, Peter.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:30 pm  

  • I must admit, Victor, I'm enjoying it so far.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:31 pm  

  • 2000 AD's a bit below par at the mo but compared to The Megazine it's great. Nice to meet you yesterday, Colin, by the way.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:32 pm  

  • I told you it took them years to burn off fleishers useless...yet still paid for scripts..

    The words "Millar" and "Dredd" in the same sentance sends cold shivers down my spine

    By Blogger Derek, at 12:48 pm  

  • Derek, years and years and years, by the look of it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home