<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 2.83 07/07/95

Thank fuck that’s over. That’s right, I’ve finished reading volume two of The Megazine and it got to be really hard work in the end. Hopefully, this hasn’t been some foreshadowing of the final weeks of The Slog still to come.

As it happens, some of the support strips, which in general I’ve been dismissive of here, have been okay recently. The backup, black and white, un-credited Judge Dredd story in this issue for example, by Robbie Morrison and Steve Sampson, was very good, even if Dredd himself acts uncharacteristically sensitively towards a citizen’s needs. Missionary Man, which is always solid, featured some surprising art by Jamie Grant. On the surface, it looks sketchy and incomplete but up close it’s very impressive, I would say.

The real promise comes in the form of Plagues of Necropolis, which has been a series of self contained stories set during the Mega Epic from a couple of years ago. All written by Si Spencer with rotating artists, Plagues of Necropolis might be relentlessly grim but each story-with-a-twist functions as The Megazine’s equivalent of a Future Shock. Accessible, easy to follow strips that stand on their own is exactly what this comic needs.

I suppose the reason for the launch of volume three next issue is to provide the ideal jumping on point for new readers gripped by the fever that never happens caused by the release of the Judge Dredd film around now. The problem with ideal jumping on points is that they can also be ideal jumping off points. So, goodbye Megazine; it hasn’t been nearly as much fun as it should have been.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

  • You sound underwhelmed. I guess thrill power overload is a 2000 ad specific condition...

    By Blogger Tam, at 5:42 pm  

  • Grr I can't believe you liked the Plagues of NECROPOLIS!!! I have never seen a series which was just so wrong! The Dark Judges do not have any of those powers!

    I am also angered by the fact that you re not going to read volume 3. This is not just because I feel you should suffer through them just as I had to . . . well I guess it is :P

    If you like I can lend you my issues for you to review!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 9:13 am  

  • What powers are you talking about? Don't forget they had Phobia & Nausea along too, and those two alone were affecting the entire *city*

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 11:20 am  

  • All that I know is that when John wagner wrote necropolis no one turned into giant flies!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 1:44 pm  

  • volume 2 was pretty good until about issue 20 where it went downhill pretty sharpish with all those international judge strips.

    By Blogger Derek, at 2:29 pm  

  • Tam, 'underwhelmed' is the word.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:02 pm  

  • Hi Victor. I remember you warning me about Plagues of Necropolis now that you mention it. I enjoyed the strip in a 'legend' sense, not in a 'strict continuity' way. Thanks for the offer re vol 3. Would you be offended if I declined?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:04 pm  

  • Drhoz, there's a scene featuring raining severed heads too.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:05 pm  

  • Oh and Victor, liking Plagues is relative, maybe...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:06 pm  

  • Derek, you're forgetting the Nun strip which appeared before issue 20. You're right in that it did get worse, but it wasn't up to scratch before it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:07 pm  

  • yeah I agree the writing on soul sisters was awful....but at least it it had Shaky's art!

    By Blogger Derek, at 12:50 pm  

  • Shaky's art is a big plus.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home