<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 2.79 12/05/95

I’m back! Normally I would cheer but I’m back reading The Megazine during a period where I have difficulty remembering what happened in the last issue when I’ve been reading two a day so you can imagine how baffled I am after leaving it for over a week. If I hadn’t have got distracted by something else to read, The Megazine volume two would be over and I would be back on the weekly by now. Oh well, it’ll all be over by the end of the week, presuming I don’t get distracted by something else, that is.

Anyway, I wonder if the Judge Dredd story, The Secret Life of Judge Pal, which finishes this issue, is influenced in any way by this cover to the fifteenth Eagle Comic reprint drawn by Brian Bolland. There’s something about the sight of who might be Dredd himself grinning inanely that is quite alluring, I find. In the story, kiddie friendly Judge Pal broadcasts to the city and encourages young citizens to report crimes for prizes. I must be getting old because I found myself thinking that getting children to act as narks for prizes is quite a good idea. Gordon Brown should think about it. The indignity and banality of the programme comes at a price for Pal himself though who is known in Justice Department for his boozy bat-glider sessions.

Artist SB Davis fully paints the strip in a colourful and electric manner. The way Davis draws kids reminds me of the child actors Coronation Street seems to cast; they’re more like miniature old aged pensioners than actual children. It’s also pleasing to see that John Wagner’s sense of satire is as acute as ever.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I hope that Gordon Brown has to take the long walk when he is done.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 5:58 pm  

  • Good excuse to post that fantastic Bolland cover!

    By Blogger Colin, at 12:56 pm  

  • Brown takes the long walk...? Sounds cool.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:54 pm  

  • Colin, it's a great cover, isn't it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:54 pm  

  • I'd like to see a collection of all the bolland and US comic covers. Some of them were brilliant

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 11:15 am  

  • Yes Victor. Or an art book collection of non 2000 AD 2000 AD art if you know what I mean. (Eagle comic cover, game box designs etc...)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home