<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Prog 924 27/01/95

Usually 2000 AD goes months, often years without a cross over and then, unexpectedly, two happen at once. In Timehouse, two of the characters travel to the Nerve Centre in 1977 to install a time-support while Tharg and Burt, in the room next door, discuss what to call heir new comic. (Continuity buffs: I’m not sure that Burt worked for 2000 AD at this time. My recollection is that he first appeared in a story published during the 100s two or three years later. But I could be wrong). Skiiizz is the other. In it, the Gunlords of Omega Ceti travel to Judge Dredd’s OZ, 2110, and encounter the future lawman himself at the very end of the original epic to unintentionally help fill in any plot holes.

In Skiiizz, Skizz is now living off world with his son, Our Kid, while an un-aging Roxy and Cornelius hide out in the Australian outback waiting again for the alien’s return. Meanwhile, or ‘meantime’, the Gunlords, Wayne and Trevor, have been travelling up and down through time in an attempt to locate Roxy and Skizz and prevent their original meeting, or at least the introduction of yoghurt to their own society.

I must admit that my brain has been feeling slightly frazzled recently and reading back and forth between 2000 AD and The Megazine for The Slog hasn’t helped. It means that I haven’t followed Jim Baikie’s second sequel as closely as I might have. For example, I’m unclear as to why yoghurt is so important to Skizz’s culture (has it something to do with it making them pregnant?). Confusion aside, it’s clear that Baikie is enjoying working on this story. There are some great characters, voices, scenes and (obviously) art occurring. I particularly enjoy the sight of the slightly farcical Gunlords driving around in their classic design VW Beetle and the large, android, teddy-boy with the thick Birmingham accent that climbs out of the front to carry the vehicle into the sea. Now that’s just bonkers.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I can remember really enjoying Skizz 2 and 3. I wonder why they revived this series and not any of the other Moore series? Dr and Quinch could have easily had another adventure instead of their problem pages and Halo Jones . . . could have been finished off by Mark Miller and Simon Jacobs. That would have been fun because Mark Miller has proved what a fine writer of women he is!

    I also remember enjoying Time House. However something I do remember about this run of stories in 2000ad is that I never enjoyed reading them week to week, but when I went back over them and read them as a complete story a few months later (I had the time to do that sort of thing in those days). I think maybe the plots are all a bit involved maybe.

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 9:19 am  

  • Victor, I think if Ian Gibson or Alan Davis wanted to do further stories without Alan Moore then there would have been a moral and/or legal justification for it. I assume that they didn't without him. I agree with you about Timehouse, which I comment on today.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:28 pm  

  • I thought Ian Gibson was always banging on about his ideas for Halo Jones 4. The very idea makes my skin crawl, personally.

    By Blogger Peter, at 11:20 pm  

  • My feeling is that if Gibson chose to draw Halo Jones book four then he would have a moral right to do so.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:16 pm  

  • Oh, absolutely! But he was talking about his ideas for the story...

    By Blogger Peter, at 11:36 pm  

  • Looks like a lucky escape for us all then :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home