<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Prog 911 28/10/94

Latest ABC Warriors story, Hellbringer, reaches a pit stop after eight episodes this prog. In it, we’ve seen Hammerstein wander ‘round the galaxy re-assembling his team of the usual members including the disappointing Morrigun. (I think of her as disappointing because I’ve always felt that she’s taking up Ro-Jaws’ position.) According to Deadlock, chaos is under threat from order again and only the ABC Warriors can put a stop to it or something. We’re all so accepting that order is a threat that Deadlock doesn’t need to explain in what form it takes anymore.

The fully painted artwork by Kevin Walker is undoubtedly stunning even though some of the pages look a little murky thanks to reproduction limitations I imagine. What stops me falling in love with the art is the way the characters are interpreted as looking like muscle bound clods. It’s almost as if Walker is caricaturing Simon Bisley’s earlier designs for the cast, if it’s possible to do such a thing.

Writers Pat Mills and Tony Skinner provide some fun one liners but the truth is I feel as if I’ve read it all before. Every new ABC Warriors saga seems to start with the (re)assembling of the team and unfolds with a tedious revelation from Deadlock that Magik (with a ‘K’) requiring the tormenting of Hammerstein and the torturing of teachers en masse. Since their return as support in Nemesis the Warlock, ABC Warriors stories feel under utilised and have lacked the vitality of the original run which is a shame because the cast is great… Except for Morrigan.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I remember being very disappointed with this story. My young mind loved the artwork and the possibilities of where the story could go, but the second part is one of the most boring and pointless stories the Mills droid has written :(

    I loved the purple Joe pineapples though and drew him all over my school books (much to the annoyance of the teachers).

    The artwork did not reproduce well. I saw the originals and it looks amazing!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 8:35 pm  

  • Thanks Victor. Just as I suspected, the art has reproduced badly. My only point now is, as this has been happening for a while now, why did artists continue to paint without making allowances? Or something done to correct the reproduction errors?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home