<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, October 30, 2009

Judge Dredd the Megazine 2.73 17/02/95

Instead of flipping back and forth between titles, I’ve decided to focus on finishing reading The Megazine for The Slog. I’ve worked out that it should take me just over a week. It’ll be a tough week but it’ll feel great, I’m sure, to get the bloody thing over and done with. Long time readers of The Slog might remember me wondering if I should read volume two for this experiment before eventually deciding to do so. Well, let me tell you something; despite the Judge Dredd cross-overs and the Missionary Man, I still feel like I made a terrible mistake. Even now, with just ten issues to go, I’m considering skipping strips I don’t like the look and sound of which feels like most of them. I can’t believe I secretly considered seeking out volume three at one time. Thank God I didn’t.

Still, it’s nice to see Anderson PSI Division, by Alan Grant and Steve Sampson back. As we suspected would happen, she’s returned to Mega City One and full duty after her gap year away. I can’t help thinking that Judges Karyn and Janus must feel a little pissed off that she’s returned given that they’ve been jostling to replace Anderson as our Big Meg based PSI Judge of choice. As if anyone could.

It’s also nice to read an Alan Grant penned strip as he’s been absent around these parts recently, probably too busy swanking around with his American friends. He’s such a naturalistic, accessible and clear writer that he almost feels like a blast of fresh air which is saying something given how long he’s been at it by now.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

  • It would appear that Anderson has been to Glastonbury on her travels and bought one of those annoying jester hats that were all the vogue back then. All be it a small one sans bells (well that I can see??)

    By Blogger Colin, at 7:13 pm  

  • This is the period where, between 2000 AD and the Meg, the only series worth reading were written by Wagner, Grant and Mills. So much for new talent!

    By Blogger Grant, the Hipster Dad, at 8:00 pm  

  • Paul - you're the Sampson expert - does anyone know what he's doing now? Haven't heard his name in ages.

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:09 am  

  • Colin, maybe she's not had a chance to wash it since she got back.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:10 pm  

  • I almost agree, Grant, althogh Peter Hogan is pretty good, and I have a soft spot for Millar and Morrison.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:11 pm  

  • Hi MArk. I used to know Sampson but I haven't seen him in over ten years. He was recently mentioned on the Down the Tubes blog for selling some original cover artwork he did for Overkill. I tracked down his website and, as far as I can see. he's still illustrating including Anime influenced art.

    http://www.downthetubes.net/resources/comics_links/comics_artists/comics_artists_s.html
    http://www.sampsonart.com/

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:15 pm  

  • Nice website. Always thought that, with his style back in the day, he'd have gone into vector art. Ah, right as usual!

    By Blogger Mark, at 10:29 pm  

  • soft spot for millar??? gaaaah! he's still stinking up comics with his recent dull run on Fantastic Four.

    I was in and out of 2000ad and the meg at this time so I can't say if mills had reformed but I was well cheesed off by the eco-warrior bollocks that seemed to be infecting finn (naturally), slaine and abc warriors at the time.

    As far as my own memory goes Mills didn't really turn the corner till he teamed up with henry flint on the final nemesis/deadlock story around 1999

    By Blogger Derek, at 1:43 pm  

  • Mark, I've broken my Sampson 'silence' with today's entry.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:50 am  

  • Derek, I'm gonna make you really cross then when I tell you that I quite enjoyed Millar's recent FF run. It's not by any means the best post Lee/Kirby run on the book, and I was disappointed that he and Hitch bailed out before the final story got finished, but there were enough pop-ideas in there for it to be fun for me. Although, is it me, or is The Thing a bit bland these days?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:56 am  

  • I bailed about 6 issues into Millars run, although I read the rest via online sources. It was just pretty dull and I think Millars self generated hype machine did him no favours when he said it would be the best run since Kirby/Lee.

    I'm really enjoying Hickmans run since he and Eaglesham took over, he really seems to have got the right mix of madcap ideas and family dynamics the title needs.

    i do agree about the Thing though, I don't think anyone has really "got" him since Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo were doing the title.

    By Blogger Derek, at 2:45 pm  

  • I've heard good things about Hickman's run, Derek. I find that with the FF usually, if it's a good run it's really good but if it's not so good then it's bloody awful. There's no middle ground with the FF.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home