<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Prog 904 9/9/94

There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog, except there is as they seem to be happening a lot recently. In fact, I’ve become so conscious of that phrase that I avoided typing it on at least two occasions over the last couple of weeks when I could have. You could argue that those progs weren’t really re-launches but issues in which all the thrills began three part runs until the real re-launch was ready to go but technically, as opportunities for readers to jump on board, I would say that they still qualify.

It’s a good looking prog by all accounts. Free gift free, it features Big Dave in colour, the return of the ABC Warriors, Robo-Hunter by Peter Hogan and Rian Huges, Button Man II (yay!) and the start of the latest Judge Dredd epic, Wilderlands. I don’t remember much about this story at all other than Carlos Ezquerra begins to use computer colouring on his artwork with, originally, disconcerting effect. Traditionally, Ezquerra’s work comes with thick and broken borders surrounding characters, objects and panels. Now his character outlines are thin and panel borders non-existent. At the time, I remember feeling unsure about it but now, I like it. It’s a unique style that is still unquestionably Ezquerra.

One thing I do remember from around this time is the cover price. A couple of progs back it went up to 80p and I remember thinking that when it hits a pound I should think about giving it up altogether. I was now looking for a jumping off point and, as good looking as this prog is, I was only sticking around because I anticipated a lot of attention and adoration coming 2000 AD’s way when the Judge Dredd film is released in next year and I wanted to be there for it.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • There are two absolute stone wall classics... well ok strips I absolutely love then, starting in this Prog. I think both the Hogan Hughes Robohunter is just so refreshing int he face of the stuff that surrounds it and of course Button Man 2.

    Ezquerra's art is just so red during this epic (Which I'm sure is to reflect the light on this mysterious tenth planet) his Dredd so buffed up (I'm sure in reference to Sly) but all the excuses aside and not dismissing the fact that he is an exceptional artist this just isn't a highlight in his career for me. At all.

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:51 am  

  • Whilst I never stopped getting, and reading, 2000AD, it was from about this time that I don't really remember what the strips were like, and never re-read (unlike the much-thumbed Progs 420-800ish).

    I'm getting the impression that you don't remember them so well from first time around either!

    By Blogger alexf, at 11:00 am  

  • Alexf :

    My memory goes hazier at around this point too. I think the strips maybe became a bit less memorable and fresh but it also is partly perhaps due to us getting older. Stuff like The Apocaypse War, Bad Company or Halo jones were great anyway but made all the better for encountering them at the perfect age of about fourteen. It's never going to have QUITE the same kick as an adult unless it's something truly different...

    Also, Paul, in case you haven't seen this, your readers might be interested...
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/08/24/garth-ennis-when-2000ad-was-the-future/

    By Blogger Tam, at 3:52 pm  

  • Colin, Robo-Hunter and Button Man II are looking pretty good so far.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:41 pm  

  • Alex, that's right. There's lots of stuff comicng up that I can hardly remember but was around for.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:42 pm  

  • Thanks for the link Tam. I did see it. Good to see Ennis hasn't forgotten :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home