<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, September 21, 2009

Prog 902 26/08/94

ITEM: Rogue Trooper GI Blues is a bit of a curiosity; the opening episode is written by Mark Millar but the closing two by Steve White. What happened there? It looks almost certain that everyone is happy to wipe away the memory of the character’s reinvention a few years ago. Recently, as you know, Rogue’s bio-chip buddies made a come back. This prog, he shaves his head but for the strip of hair down the centre. Now I’m waiting for everyone to forget that his name is Friday.

ITEM: At this time, in anticipation of the upcoming movie, three issues of the DC interpretation of Judge Dredd are out, according to an ad for The Sheffield Space Centre. If you’ve never encountered this series then my advice to you is only do it if you’re the kind of person who enjoys watching real life disasters unfold on rolling news channels. For some unknown reason, writer Andrew Helfer, whose time writing The Shadow I had previously enjoyed, decided to set the comic during the period when the current system of law was changing over to the judiciary, and Dredd was there as a major player. It really was a total misunderstanding of what the fundamentals of Dredd are. Although, in its defence, Dredd did keep his helmet on and the art by Mike Avon Oeming and JH Williams is very good.

ITEM: It’s nice to see Nemesis back for a short run written exclusively by Pat Mills and painted by Clint Langley. Langley’s art style seems suited to the thrill, it looking to me like it utilises the best of the thrill’s artists from the past such as John Hicklenton and Bryan Talbot. Hammer of Warlocks is essentially a recap of the saga so far. Interestingly, there’s no mention of the fact that the Torquemada of current continuity has been snatched through time from moments before his death and that, theoretically, at some point he’ll have to be sent back. Or did I miss something?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • Williams on Dredd?! Suddenly I feel like I want to buy these comics.

    By Blogger Peter, at 7:53 pm  

  • Shame those Dredd comics were so bad. I think Andrew Helfer is probably the most underrated writer in mainstream comics. His work on Justice Inc and The Shadow, (especially with Kyle Baker) were, as you say, pretty good. More recently he wrote 'Batman : Journey into Knight' which was the far and away the best written batman story I've read in years, but wasn't even considered popular enough to merit a collection. Oh well...

    By Blogger Tam, at 8:17 pm  

  • The Torquemada thing used to bug me as well. Nemesis continuity doesn't really bear thinking about. I don't think Pat Mills ever gave it much thought.

    By Blogger Joe, at 12:16 pm  

  • I need to look back at my copy of thrill power overload but the opening episode by Millar was an abandoned attempt at a secon reboot if I recall

    By Blogger David page, at 3:55 pm  

  • Peter, some of Williams' artwork was quite nice I remember.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:13 pm  

  • Tam, I normally have time for Andrew Helfer. I remember a Two-Face story from the eighties he wrote which was very good.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:14 pm  

  • Joe, I always thought it was just me.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:15 pm  

  • David, I'm okay with a reboot evey now and then but aborted reboots?! What's the point?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home