<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Prog 893 24/06/94

Dave Hine is the star of this prog providing both the script and art to two thrills; part 5 of Mambo The New Flesh and a smart Future Shock called Life Sentence. Those of you familiar with his work during the twenty-first centaury might be surprised to learn that earlier in his career he drew his own strips and, was often, thought of by some as more of an artist than a writer.

I met Dave at a signing during the mid-nineties. I was signing copies of my comic Memory Man for which I was lucky to get orders from Diamond Comic Distributors for over 120, while he sat next to me (?!) signing the superior in every sense Strange Embrace. (If you’ve never read Strange Embrace then, honestly, you should. It’s great). Since, whenever we see each other at conventions, we say hello and have a little chat. He’s a top bloke whose recent American success he completely deserves.

Unfortunately, from a Slog point of view, my personal fondness for Dave Hine prevents me from writing about his 2000 AD work with the strict impartiality I insist upon here, although I will admit to enjoying re-encountering his work from before our first meeting. Instead, I’ll talk about current Judge Dredd tale, Conspiracy of Silence by John Wagner and Mark Harrison.

I’ve commented here before about how impressive those first few years of Dredd stories are for rarely revisiting characters. Of course, Judge Death and Mean Machine Angel made successive appearances, but they were years apart. Great characters like Rico and Fergie appear for one story and then disappear for good. It’s as if Wagner wilfully resisted the pressure to bring them back for the sake of keeping the thrill fresh. Now, in Conspiracy of Silence, Dredd uncovers Chief Judge McGruder’s plans to deploy Mechanismo robots onto the streets of Mega City One for what must be the third or fourth time. This time around, I’m enjoying the story, but originally, I, a John Wagner devotee, began to find this very irritating.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I recall reading in an interview with David Hine a few years ago that he looks back on Mambo as being a bit cliched and "of its time"

    By Blogger Derek, at 2:04 pm  

  • I had dropped 2000ad long before all this, but have read my brother-in-laws copies. I really enjoyed Mambo when I read it, and am dissapointed there was never a follow up (as the ending seemed to indicate the need for one.). Strange Embrace is, as you say excellent. Isn't it time dave did a new project he drew as well as wrote?

    P.S. Got Book of Lists yesterday, fabulous. Very funny and honest.

    By Blogger matthew bunce, at 6:39 pm  

  • Hi Derek. Maybe, but great art.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:29 pm  

  • Thanks Matthew. Glad you enjoyed BoL. I would like to see Dave Hine both write and draw something again too but I'm happy that he's doing anything at the moment.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home