<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, September 28, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 2.65 28/10/94

ITEM: I can just about accept that budgetary restraints prevent every page of The Megazine being filled with comic strip and that it needs to be padded out with editorial waffle but please; does the same image need to appear again and again and again? It’s now standard practice for the cover illustration to appear on the cover, the editorial page, a status update page and the subscription ad page. That’s four fucking times! So far, there’s eighteen years worth of Judge Dredd artwork for editorial to go through and use, why are we being exposed to the same picture over and over again?

And I’m not including in the count its appearance twice last issue. You know, there’s something to be said for the buzz you experience walking into the shop for a copy and seeing the cover for the first time instead of being bored with it already.

ITEM: I’m pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying the current run of Calhab Justice. Normally, if it’s not the Missionary Man or written by John Wagner, I don’t tend to be inclined towards it. In Family Snapshot, the Chief Inspector has sent MacBrayne on assignment to Brit-Cit freeing him to return the emotionally damaged PSI, Schiechallion, to duty. Obviously, the strip benefits greatly from being drawn by John Ridgeway, but Jim Alexander’s story is very accessible. The scenes where Schiechallion meets his creator remind me of moments from Grant Morrison’s Zenith and Alan Moore’s Miracle Man in both theme and quality.

ITEM: The current Missionary Man story, Treasure of the Sierra Murder, is illustrated by SB Davis and reproduced in black and white. Davis uses a wash which leaves me wondering if the artwork was originally produced in colour. Even if the wash is in just tones of grey, I imagine there would be a quality to it that is lost in the way it’s printed here. I’m curious to see what it looks like in colour, that’s what I’m trying to say.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Paul, you won't have to wait long to get a taste of Davis's full colour work. He's been a prolific contributor to both the Megazine and the Progs ever since his debut.

    It's very good, although sometimes his photo referencing can be a little awkward.

    By Blogger alexf, at 10:50 am  

  • Ah, Mr Rainey it does my heart no end of good to read that you enjoyed a Calhab Justice story! The irony for me is that I haven't read it myself - that inevitable megazine compilation supplement thingy can't come too soon!

    On the subject of this issue's cover though, and it's a small thing, but is it me or is this the first instance of the worlds of 2000AD and the Megazine crossing with that of Doctor Who? The Green Death being a Jon Pertwee story, I seem to recall also around this time covers boasting such straplines as 'Ice Warrior' (a Pat Troughton story), and of course Dredd's mini-epic The Tenth Planet, also William Hartnell's last story? Bishop's connection to DW is known, of course, as was Alan Barnes', but he's not yet editing the Meg at this stage, is he?

    By Blogger Peter A, at 9:33 am  

  • Alex, it just looks to me as if this work by Davis has a colour qulaity to it which might have been nice to see.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:57 pm  

  • Hi Peter. I'm not over familier with the Dr Who stories that you're refering to so i'll have to take your word for what you're telling me but yes, David Bishop has been the editor of The Megazine since the end of volume one.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:59 pm  

  • Actually I was editing the Meg from 1.04, although I didn't get named as such on the credits pages until 1.13 [or maybe even 1.15].

    By Blogger DAVID BISHOP, at 11:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home