<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 2.63 30/09/94

Five ‘scorching’ new stories start and there’s a free gift of sorts so this must be a re-launch issue. Except, the Judge Dredd story, Wilderlands, isn’t the start as it continues from prog 905 of 2000 AD. So, yes, this is a re-launch issue but, no, it’s not really an ideal jumping on point for new readers unless you’re already a Squaxx dek Thargo.

The Slog is back at The Megazine so soon because Wilderlands is running over the two comics. Although this time, unlike Judgement Day, it looks as if it’s being written in such a way to enable regular readers of only one of the titles to follow the story. It’s a little disconcerting to be caught up in the momentum of the 2000 AD episodes to suddenly find yourself re-reading the same events only this time from Judge Castillo’s more ponderous point of view.

This issue’s free gift is a scratch card featuring the chance to win £5000. Blimey. Even fifteen years later in 2009, that’s a lot of money. The reader has to answer three questions about upcoming story episodes to appear in The Megazine and then, if they’ve scratched away three ticks on the card, provide an amusing caption to a drawing of Judge Dredd chinning off against The Missionary Man. My caption is, Dredd: “The Magazine isn’t nearly as good as 2000 AD”. Missionary Man: “I agree, although our strips are great.”

As it happens, I enjoyed all of the back ups in this issue. After suggesting the other day that strips by newer creators look inferior when standing next to those by the likes of John Wagner, this issue proves me wrong, or to be an exception at least. This happens every now and then during The Slog. I mouth off about how much I don’t like this, that or the other then, when I re-encounter it, I find I do like it, as if all I needed to do was to get something of off my chest.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hi Paul,

    Long time lurking reader first time poster just saying hello. I really liek your blog. what I especially like is when you tie into the prog the changes in editorial outlook and other social factors. Its really interesting!

    Although I had read 2000 ad as a kid this period was my main reading one and I remember enjoying the reprints a lot more than what was in the prog!

    By Blogger Victor Resistor, at 1:20 pm  

  • Thanks Victor. It's nice to hear from you.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 2:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home