<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Prog 888 20/05/94

Yes, I do get what they’re trying to do with Babe Race 2000. They’re trying to be provocative so that when people contact the comic and say, “this is a bit sexist, isn’t it” writer Mark Millar can reply, “Oh, come on, it’s just a bit of fun. Get over it.” But it’s not just a bit of fun, it a pile of rubbish. My first problem is with the art by Anthony Williams, an artist whose work I normally like. Williams draws all of the women to look like they’re seven feet tall with pointy toes. They are the same and don’t look the least bit sexy which, I would have thought, is the point of a strip like this. My second issue is that Millar hasn’t even attempted to create characters. They’re all the same, vacuous bimbos. It means that the creators can’t claim any sort of high ground because it’s just deliberately provocative without there being anything else to it.

Thanks to Babe Race 2000, I am completely susceptible to current Bradley story The Sprog Prince. As you may know, normally I don’t care much for a Bradley tale, but on this occasion I was won over by the variation on the fairy tale The Frog Prince. The story and art were fun and nobody was trying to shock me. Perhaps I just needed to cleanse myself.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Yeah and why did Anthony Williams feel the need to channel Frank Miller on the cover!

    "They’re trying to be provocative so that when people contact the comic and say, “this is a bit sexist, isn’t it” writer Mark Millar can reply, “Oh, come on, it’s just a bit of fun. Get over it.”

    Arh I see now!

    By Blogger Colin, at 9:11 am  

  • this is my least favourite era of 2000ad. Starting from Prog 700 until pretty much when Rebellion took over. Stories like Babe Race and Big Dave where IMO pretty awful having been done before, better in Deadline (Tank Girl: The Australian Job and the classic Harry Sadist strip). There where also many missed opportunitys Really and Truly for example could have been so much better and Maniac 5 seemed to never quite hit the mark. I did always love Bradley though.

    By Blogger Jayleon, at 8:13 pm  

  • Colin, that cover is a bit of a baffler, isn't it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:18 pm  

  • Hi Jayleon. Despite the tone of some of my entries, I think 2000 Ad at this time is better than it has been but that just my opinion. The worst for me so far were the late 500s and the 600s. Although I remember that there is worse to come...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:20 pm  

  • I enjoy reading you slog as you have a very different POV in a lot of things which is enjoyably challenging.

    I loved 2000ad after 555 right up until about the 690's every prog was gold and after 700 every prog was a bitter disappointment but your slogs have given me some valuable insight in to this era of 2000ad.

    Simon Harrison for example is for me an awesome artiest but I have found my self agreeing with your difficultys with his work being difficult to follow.

    see what I mean by challenging?

    Please keep slogging because your tone is just fine and you manage to cram in to a very short space a incredibly eloquent, insightful and clear review of the Galaxies Greatest.

    By Blogger Jayleon, at 8:01 pm  

  • Thanks Jayleon. It looks like our favourite 2000 AD periods are different to say the least.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home