<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Prog 883 15/04/94

ITEM: There are probably lots of tributes around this time to Jack ‘King’ Kirby who died on 6th February 1994 but this one is the only one I remember. It’s Tharg by Shaky 2000 (Kane) drawn in the classic Kirby Silver Surfer pose. Kane is very obviously influenced by The King but his influence on other art robots we associate with 2000 AD over the years isn’t nearly as obvious but is there nonetheless. In fact, I find myself wondering, had 2000 AD continued with its original editorial approach if a tribute of any kind would have appeared at all. I like to think that it would have.

ITEM: One of the interesting things about The Slog is the stuff I forget. For example, I have no recollection of Mark Millar writing a Robo-Hunter story after the first Peter Hogan/Rian Hughes one appears at all. And yet here it is, The Robotic Revenge of Dr Robotski. What Millar seems to have understood at last is that readers want to see Sam Slade interacting with Hoagy and Stogie all the way through a case. Unfortunately for Millar, like Michael Fleisher returning the bio-chips to Rogue Trooper, this understanding that you shouldn’t really mess with the fundamentals of a thrill arrives a little too late. Hogan and Hughes got there first, I’m afraid.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • "Hogan and Hughes got there first, I’m afraid."

    And so much better!

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:48 am  

  • Again, on the off-chance that the current Tharg is reading/observing from on-high: BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY!

    Just give him a ring and offer him a future shock, big man!

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:41 pm  

  • I agree that Kirby is not an artist I would associate at all with 2000AD but that Kirby tribute is a very nice touch.

    By Blogger Robert, at 5:04 pm  

  • I think you're right, Colin.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:10 pm  

  • Mark, if you chant it often enough, Tharg has to listen eventually, surely.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:11 pm  

  • Robert, I love that tribute. I went to the trouble of scanning it in myself (normally I nick the image from http://www.2000ad.org/)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:12 pm  

  • I always appreciated the fact that 2000ad didn'tpay tribute to American comics.

    That Thargby poster is, in my opinion, an example of a certain kind of editorial desperation that set into 2000ad some time back.

    By Blogger Jack, at 8:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home