<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Prog 873 04/02/94

Flipping back and forth between The Megazine and 2000 AD for The Slog really underscores the difference in quality between the two comics. The Megazine might have John Wagner but 2000 AD just looks a whole lot better. The art throughout is nearly always great these days. Even the newer artists, including the painty ones, are focused on getting the story told.

This prog is a re-launch prog and, as you all know, there’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog. Here are some observations about it. The free gift, a badge version of the logo, might be a whole lot cooler if it were smaller and metal rather than big and plastic. There’s something about its rounded corners that makes its wearer look as if he’s been classified as unsafe to carry scissors.

All of the main strips, Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Like Kirby, Tyranny Rex and Dinosty, are well promoted but the secret thrill to get excited about is Shaky Kane’s back covered Beyond Belief! There’s been a danger over recent years of the back cover as a legitimate place for new material as being forgotten. Here it’s being used for well illustrated, made up but entertaining Fortean styled ‘facts’.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Fuxache, Tharg, do the right thing and BRING BACK SHAKEY!

    Chant with me, folks: BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY! BRING BACK SHAKEY!

    And breathe.

    Anyway, send your BRING BACK SHAKEY! chants to input@2000adonline.com, see if they cut any ice with Tharg.

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:38 pm  

  • I love you, Mark.

    Incidentally, he is returning, but not to 2000 AD. He's drawing a series written by Dave Hine for Image comics.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:39 pm  

  • Can't wait for shakey's return, David Hine posted a short note about it on the bleedingcool.com forums.

    As to prog 874, this was my last regular issue of 2000ad, although I would buy 4 or 5 here or there to see if the quality improved. I'm going to be fascinated to see your opinion Paul as I would not have read a lot of these and I'd like to see if "the slide" is as bad as I thought it was then.

    I hated Dinosty with a vengeance, although I can't honestly remember why at this stage....although I'm pretty sure I disliked the art.

    I'd completely lost interest in Tyranny Rex as well, it started out with so much promise back around the late 500's with Tyranny being an actual "fun" strip which was something different for John Smith, it seemed to become just another typical smith tale over time.

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:06 am  

  • Derek, I've been trying to work out when I stopped buying 2000 AD. I think it's another year or two away yet. Please stick around, I might find some stuff worth while (yeah, right).

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home