<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, July 10, 2009

Prog 871 21/01/94

Item: In Soul Gun Warrior by Shaky 2000, the artist formally known as Shaky Kane, Robert Oppenheimer uses his experimental new invention on patriotic American test pilot, Tim West. Kane’s story is just an excuse for him to draw Jack Kirby inspired machines and brawls in space which is fine by me as it’s what he does best, or second best, and is much more fun than , say, if it were being written by someone like David Bishop.

Item: In Revere Book III, the angst ridden boy wizard travels beyond the veil to find his dead girlfriend this time. Clearly, John Smith is laying on the purple prose and Simon Harrison’s art is aesthetic stunning but I just can’t get into it. I think Book II ruined Revere for me.

I would like to correct something I wrote previously though. Before, I said that Smith writes what he does irrespective of who is drawing it. In the case of Revere at least, this is one of the most obviously wrong things I’ve ever written for The Slog. Everything ever drawn by Harrison seems to have been written to accommodate his style, tastes and eccentricities. What a duh-brain I am.

Item: Let me ask you a question. If you were a young man and you had the choice between sleeping in a nice, comfy bed every night with the woman you love or on a hard, stone floor under a single undersized sheet with two young women, which would you choose? That’s right, the second one every time. In Earth Mother, that’s exactly what Dex does, although I must point out that there is no suggestion of any impropriety going on.

The characters might need work on their motivation and, although strengthened since I last mentioned it, the concept remains shaky, I’m enjoying Earth Mother more than I feel I should, none the less. It’s like a guilty pleasure.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I'm not sure but I think it was on here I publically said that Shaky Kane probably didn't make it as big as he might cos he never moved beyond a Kirby tribute act. Well after I said that I read this and saw the the frankly brillant and while still Kirby inspired art completely developed and unique in its own right. I've therefore been looking forward to you commenting on this fantastic story so I could publically say in its correct context:

    I'm a fool and Shaky Kane is so much more that just a Kirby tribute act and a fine and wonderful artist in this own right.

    God that feels better!

    By Blogger Colin, at 5:52 pm  

  • Good call, Colin. Stylisticly, his work is similar to Kirby's but Kane is also influenced spiritually by Kirby which is why there's a lot of himself and his own imagination in there.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:14 pm  

  • Soul Gun Warrior is still one of my all time favourite strips from 2000ad. It had that right mix of darkness, humour and eccentricity that just makes a strip work.

    I think Shaky is one of those great artists who just slipped through the cracks and disappeared from the comics scene after about 2001. I think the comics world just didn't know what to do with him in the 90's mores the pity.

    the ironic thing is now Kirby is rightly lauded and those who have used him as a springboard are accepted now, Shaky could probably find lots of work in the states if he was looking for it. Comics like Godland and Jersey Gods take the same inspiration that Shaky was absorbing from the king and doing their own thing too.

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:19 am  

  • I heard, Derek, that Kane is having something written for him to draw by a UK based mainstream (Marvel/DC/Image) writer. I heard directly from the writer himself. It'd be brilliant if that happens.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:16 pm  

  • That would indeed be brilliant news Paul. If you get any more info be sure and let us know.

    By Blogger Derek, at 10:30 pm  

  • Will do.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home