<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Prog 869 08/01/94

Item: Big Dave is back, and this time he’s being drawn by Anthony Williams. Normally, I like Williams but I much prefer Big Dave more when it was being drawn by Steve Parkhouse. Williams makes it slightly too grotesque for my liking. In Costa Del Chaos, Dave goes on holiday to Tenerife. What I want to know is, if Big Dave is unemployed, how is he able to afford to go on holiday in the first place? (That question has been kindly provided by The Daily Mail).

Item: I’m fascinated by an ad that appears in this prog for Fake IDs. I imagine the purpose of a fake ID is to enable its underage carrier to get served alcohol in pubs. It’s surprising to me that a service like this can legally exist as recently as 1994 but then, for all I know, it might still be available. Apart from being credit card sized and laminated, how authentic looking these IDs are I have no idea. I have a suspicion that some Del Boy type has bought a laminating machine and turned it into a business.

Item: Mother Earth is a curious new thrill. The concept seems to be that ‘Mother Earth’ travels back in time to prevent the occurrence of ecological disaster in her own time but when she returns to the present, she finds all new eco-atrocities occurring in the line she’s created. The concept for the strip at this level presents all sorts of interesting paradoxes and moral dilemmas that creators Bernie Jaye and Cliff Robinson decide to ignore altogether. Instead, she kidnaps three random young people to help her in her raids on multi-national companies. Personally, I don’t mind that Jaye and Robinson have decided to strip the thrill of all intellectualism, but I can’t see it lasting more than six episodes before its conceptual foundations give way and Mother Earth collapses in on itself.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I came very close to purchasing one of those fake IDs, mostly so that I could then purchase some of the 18 rated Manga videos that were heavily advertised at the same time.

    But I didn't.

    By Blogger alexf, at 11:16 am  

  • I remember ads in the comic for some kind of post-apocalypse themed paintball centre being particularly enticing.

    By Blogger Joe, at 1:35 pm  

  • Probably a good job, Alex. I wonder if those IDs were obviously fake. Like "Judge Dredd certifies the holder of this ID is of legal age (in Mega City One)"

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:35 pm  

  • Joe, I don't remember those. But I've never been particularly interested in paint balling so it might that I'm blind to those sort of ads.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home