<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Prog 861 13/11/93

Mean Arena is back, although it’s not the series that ran in the early days of the comic with which I had a turbulent relationship. It’s a reinvention, written by Alan McKenzie and drawn by Anthony Williams, in which convicts are forced to take part in battles with each other for the entertainment of the television viewing masses.

You might remember that the original Mean Arena was a problem for me but, in the end, I grew to both respect and enjoy its exuberance. The new Mean Arena just hasn’t got very much going for it and that’s not just because it has appeared so soon after a similar idea, Slaughterbowl. There’s just not much, if any, plot and any characterisation that exists is down to Williams’ strong cartooning skills. There might be an inkling of a tribute to or parody of WWE (probably known as WWF in 1993) but the soap opera threads that could be trying to establish themselves are confounded by McKenzie’s spacious writing style.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I vaguely remember the mean arena but like you say Paul its easily mixed up with Slaughterbowl.

    Not to long left on the slog for me till I stopped being a regular reader and just went to off and on purchases to see what the quality of 2000ad was like.

    The one last highlight of my regular buying was Soul Gun Warrior which is coming up soon, i'll be interested to see what you think of it.

    By Blogger Derek, at 10:23 pm  

  • I found this one a strange one on re-read. Read in one go its amazing what a small amount happens across the series. Its just a big nothing really. Art aside. So errr... I guess what I'm saying is I agree entirely with what you said... damn must try to find something more to say next time...

    By Blogger Colin, at 10:32 pm  

  • Like Derek this is one of the very last issues I bought back then, although a quick trip to Barney informs me I read until at least 872 as I remember the last book of Revere.

    I vaguley recall enjoying Soul Gun Warrior too, but don't think I've ever read it again since. Might be worth a look.

    By Blogger Peter, at 11:22 pm  

  • Hi Derek. Yeah, I noticed Soul Gun Warrior starts soon. Looks great.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:30 am  

  • You did good, Colin. That's how I feel every time I write an entry for The Slog.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:31 am  

  • Peter, this doesn't mean you'll be leaving me? :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home