<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 2.44 23/12/93

I don’t remember The Megazine being such a training ground for future TV writing talent. This issue features a prologue to Pan African Judges by future Doctor Who writer, Paul Cornell. I’ve heard that he wrote for 2000 AD at one time but I thought it was way after this. Another future TV name, Si Spencer, who goes on to script episodes of East Enders, delivers the final episode of Creep this issue, drawn by Kevin Cullen.

In Creep, a group of Mega City One citizens go on a hunting expedition in old New York. Very quickly, they are captured by Creep, a feeble looking but powerful mutant who delights in killing the members of the party in uniquely cruel and imaginative ways.

Cullens art is in black and white again. Obviously, he’s somehow been classed as the go to mono-art guy. As I’ve come to expect, his work manages to be both animated and atmospheric at the same time. My only criticism is that, on this occasion, I found it difficult to tell characters apart.

Spencer is a writer whose earlier work for Fleetway I remember not liking for some reason. However, Creep is surprisingly engaging, which makes me wonder if he’s another writer I’ve unfairly misjudged. Creep is a deeply dislikeable individual who uses Bugs Bunny mannerisms to completely wreck the lives of individuals he has become fixated by. For me to so quickly want this vicious piece of work to receive his just deserts must surely be an indication that Spencer has written something very effective.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I imagine Cornell's involvement may have come by way of a few scripts for Doctor Who Magazine in the early 90s (DWM readers will have been used to a large number of 2000AD alumni contributing to it over the years). He'd also enjoyed some success in Virgin's New Adventures DW line - the Who connection of course is also there through david Bishop and Alan barnes after him. I'm not sure Pan-African Judges worked, really, despite its best intentions. But its author is a top bloke and deserves the TV accolades he's had.

    Didn't like The Creep though, nossir.

    By Blogger Peter A, at 8:00 am  

  • Hi Peter. if you look at today's entry, you'll see that I agree with you re Pan Africa Judges. I have had one direct encounter with Cornell which didn't go very well... entirely my fault... Maybe i'll tell the story one day...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:38 pm  

  • This was where I dropped the megazine and stories like Pan African Judges made it a quite easy decision. "Lets have judges in Antartica, then we'll have judges in scotland, sure why not Africa as well"...

    Just another pointless extension of the dredd universe and Siku's art didn't help. I just never felt his storytelling was up to much.

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:26 am  

  • Derek, I don't think I'm far behind you on The Megazine. I know at this point no shop in Milton Keynes was selling it (to my knowledge) and I had to order it through Smith's. I think that says a lot.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home