<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 2.42 27/11/93

We’ve already had two rounds of Mechanismo, now we’re part six of the way through round three. First time around, these stories in which Number 5 limps up from the under city and dispenses mad robot justice against innocent citizens annoyed the hell out of me. At one time, writer John Wagner would come up with an entirely new story idea for Judge Dredd every week, now he’s revisiting the same one over and over again.

However, what we actually have here is a secret multi-part epic released to us readers in a new way. Admittedly, the first two rounds should have probably been published next to each other, but it makes sense that this one, set a year later, should be published that length of time after. Read relatively close to each other, as I have been doing for The Slog, the story is heavy with Wagner’s often flawless sense of timing and atmosphere. I was wrong to doubt him.

Special mention should also go to Manuel Benet, an artist who, until this run, was known only as the single title “Benet” and fortunately has since seen the error of this policy. I recently commented here on how it might not necessarily be a good idea for new artists to get the prime gig of illustrating the Judge Dredd lead over established creators. However, Benet’s story telling is strong, his colours vivid and his characters clearly defined. His style might look traditional, perhaps a little old fashioned, but it’s almost a relief to see Dredd not being painted with veiny balloons stuffed inside his uniform.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Its not that Manual Benet's art is bad (that's never a positive way to start a statement is it!) its just that it felt so jarring compared to the other artists on the 'Epic' (I agree entirely that this is a traditional Dredd Epic presented in a very interesting way). I remember thinking it then, I thought it on a re-read and I can only wonder what people think when they read a collect version of the story - which I believe is either out now or just about to come out? Anyway great story over all and one of the best Dredd 'Epics'

    By Blogger Colin, at 9:13 am  

  • I'm alarmed, Colin. I like Benet's art.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:23 pm  

  • I knew the name Benet was familiar, he worked for Commando around the same time period. I guess his agency was getting work from the uk at the time.

    one of his commando's is actually out this week, 4215 which is a reprint of 2584. http://www.britishcomics.20m.com/pocket.htm
    lovely looking cover too

    By Blogger Derek, at 6:40 pm  

  • Thanks for letting me know, Derek. I'll check it out next time I'm in town.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home