<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 2.40 30/10/93

I’ve encountered an idiosyncrasy of The Slog recently which, actually, I’m surprised I haven’t come across more often before. (It goes to show how unknown this blog must be, I suppose). What happens when a creator of a strip gets in touch? If you look at the comments to my entry for The Megazine issue 2.29, you will see a couple posted by PR man and Judge Hershey writer Igor Goldkind. If you’re a regular reader of The Slog you will be aware that I’ve not been particularly complimentary about another strip he wrote called The Clown. In fact, I said that, at one time, I considered it to be the worst 2000 AD strip ever, although after re-encountering it I retracted that statement despite still having some issues with it. My entry about his last Judge Hershey story was, I suppose, meant to be an ironic acknowledgement that I might actually have been wrong about Goldkind’s comic writing as I thought it was quite good.

The problem with him having got in touch with The Slog and being so reasonable is I now find myself unable to assess the latest Judge Hershey story, The Harlequins Dance, with the clarity I felt I had before. It’s similar to how I feel when I encounter a Steve Sampson painted strip for The Slog. I used to be an acquaintance of his during the early days of his career and, because of this, I lack any ability to assess his comic work without any bias. Okay, I know, this is The Slog; it’s packed with sorts of biases and petty little preconceptions but once real people get involved it leaves me feeling a little bit impotent. In the case of Goldkind’s work, this is a shame because I genuinely did feel I was coming around to him. Instead, I now suspect we might never know if I would have completed that journey. Who knows, perhaps by the time I read the next Clown story, I’ll be back to my old self.

I can however, talk freely about the art by Kevin Cullen. Cullen is a totally solid story teller whose work I’ve described before as looking like early David Lloyd. Interestingly, for The Harlequin’s Dance, scenes that take place in the Hannequin’s world are in colour. What I like about the art here is that Cullen uses pastel colours which not only look very attractive but reproduce well and hold the integrity of the strip.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Well I wrote my thoughts on the aforementioned Hershey story over at the 2000ad forum before the pressure of knowing anyone was watching what I say was an issue (it got no replies which I don't know who it says more about, me or the strip?). Anyway I have no quarms about repeating what I said here.

    "...[Judge Hershey stories] Its so frustrating. Going in I really didn't have high expectations but Cullen's art while not immediately captivating had an ease that drew me in and the stories are almost good, just not quite. The ideas are there and bits of the scripting is fine its just over all they never quite make it.

    Case in point 'The Harlequin's Dance'. Fine idea, good villian and Hershey is handled well but all that potential is lost as the story feels rushed and the ending seems to ...well... just end I guess. I'd guess that Goldkind thought it was all very clever and Vertigoesque, full of mystery and intriguing engima but I found it just vague and unsatisfactory. Real shame cos these stories in more experienced hands could have been very good?"

    Please note the 'I'd guess'.

    Anyway not a fan of Simpson painted art. I feel its very static and lacks any real life.

    nice cover though.

    By Blogger Colin, at 10:06 pm  

  • I really like this cover - D'Israeli, isn't it? Great sense of composition, and the mood is nicely judged, kind of light-heartedly macabre.

    By Blogger Joe, at 10:46 pm  

  • Dean Ormston cover, I'd say.

    But yeah, pretty cool. And I always loved 'A Hamster Horror Production' as a strip title.

    By Blogger Peter A, at 8:47 am  

  • Colin, maybe I should contract slog entries out to you when I can't express opinions about specific strips and creators :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:48 pm  

  • Hi Joe. The cover is by Dean Ormston like Peter said.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:49 pm  

  • Peter, the appeal of Harke & Burr pretty much ends with that cover for me.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home