<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Prog 842 03/07/93

There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog and there’s definitely no re-launch prog quite like this one. 842 is the first issue of what is called “The Summer Offensive”, where responsibility for the comic for eight weeks has been given over to script robots Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and, to a lesser extent, John Smith.

I must admit that I really liked the whole vibe that this run gave off. I had always felt that 2000 AD works better when it’s run by a smaller, tighter creative unit so that the overall themes feel more unified. The temporary team seemed to do a pretty good job of this, I would say, with even Tharg’s editorial on the Output page reading a lot better than usual. They even got some real world coverage in The Sun I recall with the writers appearing in a photograph posing like suave sophisticates by an expensive car with sexy models (although this is down completely to my unreliable memory so if you know different then please let me know).

Even the cover is good. A great illustration of Judge Dredd by Dave Hine accompanied by pop shots of his fellow housemates down the side. An uncluttered, unpretentious cover that looks fresh to me even today.

Of course, how the content compares is a little too early to say.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • The people need a Big Dave collection!

    By Blogger Reds, at 8:06 pm  

  • I don't recall any of the strips being that great apart from the hilarious Big Dave. Always nice to see Ryan Hughes pop up as well.

    By Blogger Joe, at 9:14 pm  

  • The fifth strip was something to do with dinosaurs armed with rocket launchers, wasn't it?

    By Blogger Joe, at 9:17 pm  

  • slaughterbowl which actually is quite similar to last years remake of death race 2000

    By Blogger David page, at 1:42 pm  

  • Reds, there's few strips from the Summer Offensive that shouldn't be forgotten.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:48 pm  

  • Joe, Big Dave is great. I think in my entry today I might over examine it....

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:48 pm  

  • Joe, yes, Slaughter Bowl. So far, it's pretty good.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:49 pm  

  • David, that's exactly what I said.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home